Need Help After Crash

My Presario desktop, windows xp, crashed last week. To make a long story
short, I had what data wasn't wiped out backed up to disks, then formatted and
replaced the operating system with Compaq disks. Now I find that I can't
defrag the hard drive and figure I need to get a new one. What do I tell the
tech at the computer repair shop? Should he just copy everything that's on the
old one onto the new one? Do I have to put the operating system back on again
from the disks?
I never had what Compaq refers to as a "recovery" disk, just the operating
system on disks.
I'm an old lady, not nearly as knowledgeable as some of you are, and really
would appreciate any help.
Pat

The fact that defrag won't run is not a good sign. If you can get a copy of the
hard drive diagnostic software from the manufacturer of the hard drive (not
HPaq) and run it, you will know what the next step is. If the hard drive has
developed bad sectors (likely), then a replacement hard drive is in order.

If you don't replace the drive yourself, have the tech first save any newly
created data from the failing hard drive, then install the new drive and
reinstall the operating system plus whatever other software you use. Finally,
restore all the backed up data... Ben myers