[SOLVED] Need help and advice about my HIGH CPU temperatures

chrispudner

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
I have had my computer for around 4 years and have been struggling with high CPU temperatures. at idle the temps range from 40-60 degrees and under load it goes to over 90 degrees. My previous water cooler plagued me with problems and eventually died, the repair shop recommended this Raijintek AIO cooler that I have fitted now, but I am still struggling with high temperatures. They stated when they fitted it and tested some games that under load the temps reached about 70 degrees but now my temps are well above 90 again.

Computer Information and IDLE RealTemp Information

I have no experience with water coolers or how to apply new thermal paste and am reluctant to tamper with the computer for fear of doing more damage but I have bought some new paste (Arctic MX-4) as I think that maybe the problem. When I remove the cooler from the CPU do I need to do anything with the plate at the back of the motherboard too? (see pics)

View of case - From Front
View of case - From Rear

Is it just the fact that I need to apply new thermal paste or is my cooler just not fit for purpose? Any help anyone can provide me will be very much appreciated (y):)

Solution
Would changing the rear fan from intake to exhaust make a significant difference or just a small one?
I would set it up so that the top radiator fans are exhausting air out the top.
If you can, install two front intake fans to feed the radiator.
The rear fan should be set to exhaust.
That helps draw in more cooling air from the front.
Mar 30, 2020
I have never come across the AIO you're using, I'd recommend a Corsair H100i or H115i which is a well known brand and they can also help if something goes wrong. Secondly, thermal paste (if applied correctly) should be fine for around a year with no severe temp increases whereas you're stating it's 90 degrees celcius which is the danger zone for a CPU. If you do decide to apply thermal paste, it is a simple process so don't be too worried, just take pictures of your case before you start to unscrew anything and your build has alot of zip/cable ties so be wary when moving things as you don't want to damage wiring. I'd recommend you watch youtube tutorials as these have visual guidance and doesn't cause much confusion. Also consider draining and cleaning your AIO for better results as its been a year, clean any excess dust, improve cable management and perhaps consider adding another fan to your system if there is room. All of this should improve your airflow into the PC which will also drop temperatures slightly.

Youtubers I'd recommend, Linus Tech Tips, Bitwit, Paul's Hardware, JayzTwoCents are all good and well known they have videos on anything PC build related.

chrispudner

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks for the advice GUN3Y, do I need to do anything with the plate on the back of the motherboard when I remove the cooler to re-apply thermal paste?
Some sources say to remove this plate when removing the cooler and others don't. I just can't see a way of unscrewing it without taking the motherboard out

Any cooler should show an idle temperature in the 10-15c. range over ambient.
There is something wrong,
Some possible causes:

1. Did you remove any protective mylar film on the pump assembly before mounting?

2. What is the make/model of your case?
Your first link does not work for me.
Where have you mounted the radiator?

3. Does your case supply sufficient fresh intake air to let the cooler do it's job?
Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards. If that helps much look to case cooling solutions.

4. Is the pump running? Is the pump power connected to a pump header that is always at max?
Feel the pump to verify that it is running.

5. Are the fans on the radiator running?

6. Is the pump secured level to the processor.
Tighten it down in a criss cross manner, not in a clockwise manner.

7. Have you used too much paste? Paste is better than air as a conductor of heat, but not as good as metal to metal contact. Paste should only be enough to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.
Likely this is not your problem.
I don't see any reason to remove a backplate that was properly installed just to repaste.

chrispudner

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
I have re-uploaded the picture of the front view of the case: Case View

The case that I have is: Cooler Master Cosmos SE

The radiator is mounted at the top of the case, not really anywhere else in the case it can go from what I can see.

The repair shop fitted the cooler so I have no idea if they fitted it correctly or not, or whether they applied the paste correctly.

From what I can tell the pump is running and the fans above the radiator are running too. The fans at the front and back of the case pull air into the case and the 2 fans at the top above the radiator expel the air out of the case. This is the setup that was put in place by the repair shop, so I have taken it on trust that this is the correct way. The pump seems secure against the board to me, doesn't move when I apply some pressure to it.

Your case and cooling setup appear reasonable.
Having the rear 120mm fan as an intake might be counterproductive.
I would make it an exhaust so that the main two intake fans in the front can work better.
You might also remove the upper drive cage which is restricting airflow.
Are the top radiator fans running at full speed?

What cpu are you using?
Has it been overclocked?