Need help and opinions on monitor upgrade.

Anarchy023

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Hello everyone.

I am in the market for a new monitor and cannot decide on what to get. I currently have a Samsung syncmaster P2250 LCD screen which is quite ancient, but I will still be using it as my secondary monitor for multitasking.

Now the choices I have been looking at is :
1) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925856-REG/asus_vs278q_p_27_led_monitor.html
2) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ASUS+VG248QE&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Now the thing I cannot decide between is if I am going to like the size of the 27" more or the 144Hz refresh rate of the 24" more. Since this is my budget limit already I cannot afford to go with a 27" 144Hz screen.

I am running a GTX 770 2GB at the moment so I probably will not be reaching 144 fps in new games anyway (I do intend to use this foir gaming btw) , but I also play alot of Dota which wont be so heavy on my GPU.

So would you say refresh rate or size or should I maybe wait before I buy and save up for a better screen? Maybe a 1440p resolution screen? Since I have had this screen forever almost I really don't know allot about monitors.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

p.s. About option 3 - Waiting to save up more - If possible only recommend this if you REALLY feel I would be making a mistake since I'm quite itchy to buy the new one now :D

N1KKII

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hey mate !

What you are looking for in a gaming monitor is
1) resolution- 1080 or higher
2) response time- 1 ms
3) refresh rate- 120/144 Hz

what what slower response times do is they get rid of the ghosting( for example the trail you notice behind your cursor is due to slow response times)

and as for refresh rate it is the number of times a new image is displayed every second on your display
so say a 60Hz display will be able to display a maximum of 60 frames per second

id suggest you stick to the Asus VG 248QE ( 144hz, 1ms, 3D ready, led backlight )

Ive been using it for 1 month and ohboy im loving it! And the price is reasonable for that too aswell!

Anarchy023

Reputable
May 25, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I thought about it and I think I might just go for the 24" rather like you suggested.

I'm so used to a 22" monitor that it will already feel much larger already. Also glad to hear that you're happy with this specific screen.

:)

N1KKII

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

You wont regret getting vg248qe ;)

Good pick !! o/