Need help and questions about Graphics Cards and Stuffs

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I'm just new to this forum and thankfully this forum is really helpful because I read some topics here that really help me about computers.

I have NVIDIA Geforce 9400 GT and its overheating reaching 100+ C while gaming but when idle about 90+ C. I already cleaned my computer to get rid of dust. I even cleaned properly the heat sinks and re-apply Thermal Paste and cleaning and changing my fans but in the end still didn't change the fact that my current GPU didn't low its temperature so Is there anything I need to do to get rid of this overheating thingy. Anything is fine except to my GPU. I checked out the fans of the GPU and I think the fans is running good.

Besides of that I ask some questions. If you guys suggest me to change my card, what NVIDIA cards are good as upgrade and also its really true that when you have DDR2, you can install graphics cards that are DDR3, DDR5 something like that except RAMs?

Thanks for the response.

Here's my rig:

MotherBoard: MSI P41T-C31
Processor: Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 @ 400 MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 9400 GT 1 GB
HDD: 250 GB Seagate Barracuda

My fans are running @ 1800+ rpm
My Motherboard is DDR2
My slots are PCI-E x 16

Solution
Tell me what are the PSU that you can buy in your country or website :)

XFX / Seasonic/ Antec / Corsair /PC&P

With that budget you can think about Antec Vp-450W or Corsair CX430 . Actually the antec is a bit better and has golden award ! While the corsair has a silver one.

The antec can deliver even more than 450W and it will suit your needs :)

Good luck

prototype18

Distinguished
You can install whatver card you want. But you want be able game at full power. CPU limited and tell us the PSU plz. Also the budget ?

I think that your GPU is commnig to the end. 90 at idle is way way too high. Strongly suggest to change it .

You can start thinking about the 7750/70 .

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Recently, I checked my PSU and its 220 V, relatively low for a new graphics card so need to change though. I'm not thinking for AMD cards but NVIDIA, something like some far GTX versions. Any good NVIDIA card for me? I'm playing Dota 2.

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Well I'm not sure for the W but I saw its 500W and my Screen Resolution is 1366x768. Anyway, is there some way that I can salvage this card for a while before I come up changing it with a new card? Also I saw a good NVIDIA cards here:

GT210 1GB 64BIT DDR3 HDMI
GT520 1GB 64BIT DDR3 HDMI
GT220 1GB DDR3 HDMI
GT610 2GB 64BIT DDR3
GT430 1GB DDR3 HDMI
GT440 1GB DDR3 HDMI
GT440 1GB DDR3 128BIT HDMI
GT430 2GB DDR3 128BIT
GT630 2GB DDR3 128BIT HDMI
GT430 4GB DDR3 128BIT
GT630 4GB DDR3 128BIT HDMI

I check some of their specs and they are running at 300 - 400 W.

So what's an ideal card for me for playing Dota 2 and also I will going to play games like Starcraft 2. Also idk what's with the bits thingy in the cards. Anyway I don't have any knowledge about AMD cards because I never try any of them once.

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
What 430 and 630 in the choices, with the one with 128BIT and HDMI?

Also did there are any limitations too comes with the memory it contains like it only limits to 1GB, 2GB etc?

Anyway, I have Techwill P4-500W, any idea to change my PSU as well when I'm going to change my card?

I better try to fix the fans and if not I go change it.

prototype18

Distinguished
On that resolution u willl never see the use of the 2Gb card. So get the 1Gb version. And 430 is too a good one :)

GT430 1GB DDR3 HDMI

GT630 2GB DDR3 128BIT HDMI

Btw where are you buying from? Maybe i can find something. Also your PSU its not a reliable brand. Most of them lie on the W. But considering you were running GT 9400 that need ~24W and the 430 need ~30W i would go for that to be more safe :)

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, I don't use my PC for a while as I'm replacing my VGA fan. After replacement, my GPU temperature drops at 50 C+ at idle while stress is at 60 C+.

Anyway I'm from the Philippines and there are malls here where shops are located to buy spare parts for computers. This PC is really old, back in November 2009, the time where we buy this PC and anyway this is just DDR2 (I'm kinda shy to say that just to compare what are the hardwares today) but I'm planning to upgrade this rig this year and I just need to save some money. I'm thinking right now to buy i5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX, sth like that.

Also I just do some research for this PSU and yeah, its not true rated but I think of this, I compare the specifications of both 9400 GT and 430 GT in terms of Thermal and Power Specs:

9400 GT:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C): 105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W): 50 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W): 300 W

430 GT:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C): 98 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W): 49 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W): 300 W

In my case if 9400 GT works to my PSU, 430 GT will work to my PSU as well but like you said, its sure to change PSU with true rated one. One last question, can you suggest me what good true-rated PSU in the market that is good for cards like 430 GT. The true-rated PSU in my preference is that it is not that too expensive.

esperidium

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I don't have much knowledge about different brands of PSU but I know some brands like Corsiar or Antec.

I estimate my limits for good PSU for 2000 PHP or $48.35 (according to the latest currency rate). Maybe I should check the latest price list of spare parts in the PC shop near here.

prototype18

Distinguished
Tell me what are the PSU that you can buy in your country or website :)

XFX / Seasonic/ Antec / Corsair /PC&P

With that budget you can think about Antec Vp-450W or Corsair CX430 . Actually the antec is a bit better and has golden award ! While the corsair has a silver one.

The antec can deliver even more than 450W and it will suit your needs :)

Good luck

Solution