[SOLVED] Need help and some info on upgrading my hard drive

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
This is my first desktop since I've always been using a laptop and now I would like to upgrade my hard drive from 1TB to 3TB so do I just unplug my 1TB and replace it a 3TB hard drive? Also is it possible to transfer all my files from my 1TB hard drive to the 3TB hard drive from another computer before place it on my computer? For example I take my 1TB hard drive to a computer store and there we format the 3TB hard drive, transfer the files from the 1TB and then go home, plug it into my computer.

Solution
Is your bios graphical? ie - uses a mouse?
or old style - keyboard only?

If it's keyboard only then you will not be able to boot off the 3tb and might not be able to use all of it either.

If it's graphical then you may be able to clone the 1tb to the 3tb, expanding the C: partition in the process, and retain everything. Step 1 would be to make sure you have your important files backed up safely to another device.
This is my first desktop since I've always been using a laptop and now I would like to upgrade my hard drive from 1TB to 3TB so do I just unplug my 1TB and replace it a 3TB hard drive? Also is it possible to transfer all my files from my 1TB hard drive to the 3TB hard drive from another computer before place it on my computer? For example I take my 1TB hard drive to a computer store and there we format the 3TB hard drive, transfer the files from the 1TB and then go home, plug it into my computer.
If it's only drive it will need to have OS on it to do you any good. Since it's a desktop computer there should be enough space and connectors to have both drives at same time. All you need to do is to format it and use it or just to clone old to new drive, pretty easy operation to do with any computer. Yes. shop can do that for you too.

popatim

Titan
Is your bios graphical? ie - uses a mouse?
or old style - keyboard only?

If it's keyboard only then you will not be able to boot off the 3tb and might not be able to use all of it either.

If it's graphical then you may be able to clone the 1tb to the 3tb, expanding the C: partition in the process, and retain everything. Step 1 would be to make sure you have your important files backed up safely to another device.

Solution

Latest posts