Question Need help and suggestions troubleshooting computer problems.

Jun 24, 2019
My computer goes through few week cycles where it will randomly freeze indefinitely many times a day, while other weeks it won't ever freeze. I'll be using my computer (gaming, internet browsing, even minimum load stuff), and the computer will freeze and make buzzing noise in my headset that often is loud (rarely is a quite buzz). Then one of two things occurs:
  1. The freezing/buzzing stops and functions resume after 1-3 seconds
  2. The freezing/buzzing remains indefinitely until i hit the reset button or shut down switch.
I've had memory dumps activated on my computer; however I am convinced the dump is not being produced, as I don't even have a c:\Windows\Memory folder that I can see. I have made sure that hidden folders are showing and that everything is visible from "View" options. I am supposed to be seeing "Kernel dumps".

I am trying to isolate the problem, because I believe it is hardware related. I mostly used hardware when making my PC. All computer specs are listed below as well as whether or not the item was purchased new or used.

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.5GHz (x64) - Used
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device - New
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - Used
16 GB RAM - Used
MSI 970a-G43 Motherboard -Used (bought with processor)
EVGA 500 w1 80+ White 500W Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR -New

This problem is almost a year old now, so any help would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 14196

memory dumps get created when it crashes with a BSOD.

open Windows Reliability History and look at the failure points, what does it say? You can also peruse through the Events in Event Viewer

this may be windows and driver configuration related, or failing hardware. download and install HDtune and do SSD and HDD tests. Download Memtest86 and test out your memory real good too. start some troubleshooting

Reactions: budgetpcpain
Jun 24, 2019
memory dumps get created when it crashes with a BSOD.

open Windows Reliability History and look at the failure points, what does it say? You can also peruse through the Events in Event Viewer

this may be windows and driver configuration related, or failing hardware. download and install HDtune and do SSD and HDD tests. Download Memtest86 and test out your memory real good too. start some troubleshooting
I looked at Reliability history and it just said something like "failed to shut down properly". I'd assume that because I just hard restarted.
The event viewer labels the critical errors as "Kernel-Power" and "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I highly doubt it is SSD related, because I have had 2 brand new SSDs, and the problem occurred running windows off of each.