Need help around building a new pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thealchemistx

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Alright,I have a lot of questions,i have asked so much people and yet no one has honestly recommended what i really need.

These are the current components i have chosen (mainly because they are at a reasonable price in my country):

CPU: intel core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler:Raijintek EreBoss
Video card:MSI GeForce GTX780 TF OC, 3GB DDR5
Memory:KINGSTON 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM HyperX FURY Blue Series
Motherboard:ASRock Z87 KILLER or ASRock Z87 EXTREME4
Storage: WD Black 1TB SATA 3
Case:Thermaltake Commander MS-I USB3.0x1
Power Supply:Thermaltake Smart 730W

I would like to know if this currently works and additional suggestions about the motherboard,power supply(and how much power do I actually need),and perhaps a different cpu cooler (considering the price of them should be close to the price of the current components).
Then i am uncertain would i get better performance if I got an amd cpu (would it actually work with and nvidia gpu?) for the same price.
I am planning to use the pc mainly for gaming,and although i am going for a single monitor i would still prefer putting a gtx 780 inside.

Solution
Your build will work as is.
But, I have a few suggestions:

1. Use any Z97 based motherboard. It will preserve your option to a future broadwell 14nm upgrade.

2. If the new i5-4790K(aka devil's canyon) is available to you, buy that instead.
With your budget do not think about an amd cpu. The i5-467xK chips are as good as it gets for gaming.
3. Cooler and GTX780 are both good.
4. Make the ram a 2 stick kit of 2 x 4gb.
5. I will not build again without a SSD for the "C" drive. Everything is so much faster.
120gb at least. 240gb will hold a good number of games. If you are not storing large files such as videos, buy a 240gb Samsung evo and defer on the hard drive.
6. Your GTX780 needs only 575w. Stronger is not bad, a...

jaraldo

Honorable
Just wait for 120gb. Unless you had some HTPC to put the 30ssd in afterwards it's really a waste as you won't be able to fit much in it for desktop usage. You might only have 10-15 GB left after windows install and all your programs.

I know you can almost buy 120gb for the price of many 60gb here at the moment. So the lower you go the more overpriced it is.