• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Need help ASAP! (not related to tech that much)

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'm a 15yo student in the US from Indonesia (parents are not with me in the US). So I went to the Chase Bank to set up a bank account so my parents can send me money, but they say I'm not old enough to have a debit card, so all I can do is to setup a "savings account", I don't really know what's the difference between a normal "bank account" and a "savings account", can you guys explain? am i going to get a card of some sort? If so, should I go and get it or are they going to send the card to my address? can I still cash out from the machine? can I use the card to pay stuff in walmart or any other stores? can I still shop online? Any answer will be appreciated. :)

Entomber

Admirable
Apr 21, 2014
for a savings account you cannot get a debit card or write checks. All you can do is deposit money or transfer it (limit 3 withdrawals or transfers per month per federal law, or you must pay a fee).

You CAN withdraw cash, but I don't think you can use an ATM without a debit card. You might have to go to the bank teller to ask for a withdrawal. And keep in mind that you have a limited number of withdrawals per month if it is a savings account.

Why didn't you ask the people from Chase Bank instead of us? That would probably be a much better source...

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

I asked them about this, but I didn't really pay attention to what the guy was saying *facepalm*. So i CAN'T use the ATM? but am I going to receive card or something along those lines? If I'm not going to get a card, how am I suppose to get my money? just go to the teller and tell them I need to withdraw some money?

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

So I'm gonna get a card? is the bank going to send it? should i go to the bank and get it? so i CAN use the ATM to withdraw money?