[SOLVED] NEED HELP ASAP with unstable/slow 3950X

Jun 3, 2020
I have noticed that my machine has been running very sluggish in recent weeks and noticed in that in the BIOS my xmp profile for 3600 keep disappearing and I have to reset it. Then today it wouldn't restart and i had a "15" post code so I reseeded my RAM but I still couldn't get my XMP to stick. I then played around by mixing and matching the sticks in different dims slots and reseeding the 3950X and eventually i got it to both boot and keep the ram at 3600. I then ran cinebench and noticed my score was 1000 points less than I normally get. Restarted and saw the XMP went away again. Eventually i got it to stick again and ran cinebench and again i had the low score. So i ran my standard 4.3 ghz 1.3 v overclock that runs totally stable normally while edit or run cinebench (i would get scored 500-600 more than normal, but i normally dont keep it there) and now it crashes the machine when i run it. I have no idea whats going on so any help here would be very much appreciated.

3950x
Noctua NHU 12A
X570 Taichi
4x16 gskill ripjaws v red 3600
MSI Ventus OC RTX 2060 super

Solution
Leave it to PBO. PBO > manual OC. There's 4(?) levels, and the higher you go, the better the cooling needs to be.
For now, leave it at stock; you need to get the memory stable.

Test with the SOC voltage method above if you haven't started already.
Also, check your current bios version, go to the product support page, and check the newer versions for system performance, or memory compatibility updates.
If you're already running the latest performance bios, then disregard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The post code 15 appears to be memory related.
Try raising the SOC voltage a little in bios. Increase by 0.01v at a time and test in Cinebench R20 for at least 1 hour, although longer is better. Don't go over 1.2v SOC voltage.

How long have you been running that overclock?

Jun 3, 2020
The post code 15 appears to be memory related.
Try raising the SOC voltage a little in bios. Increase by 0.01v at a time and test in Cinebench R20 for at least 1 hour, although longer is better. Don't go over 1.2v SOC voltage.

How long have you been running that overclock?
I very rarely overclock. I use the machine for work typically so i keep it at stock to avoid issues like this. the only reason I applied the over clock is because i noticed my stock score was 1000 points less than it would have normally been before the memory issue.

Ideally i dont want to mess with overclocks and just get the performance back to what it was before the memory issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Leave it to PBO. PBO > manual OC. There's 4(?) levels, and the higher you go, the better the cooling needs to be.
For now, leave it at stock; you need to get the memory stable.

Test with the SOC voltage method above if you haven't started already.
Also, check your current bios version, go to the product support page, and check the newer versions for system performance, or memory compatibility updates.
If you're already running the latest performance bios, then disregard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS