Question Need help asap

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
So I just came back from a 2 week trip and decided to upgrade my drivers using this software I always use but I saw a ton of people saying how it was bad etc. So I downloaded snappy driver and did index only. And pressed on a couple drivers and clicked update. It was all good until my pc froze and I had to restart it. When it restarted it said I had to insert my window disk but after a couple of minutes I was able to bypass all of that and go back to my regular day on my pc…. Right? Wrong. After a couple minutes I got a BSOD saying PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. After a while it was still at 0% so I turned my PC off and now it just flickers.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
Driver booster
Never a good idea.

How to update drivers?

1. Only do it when you see an actual issue.
  2. Only directly from the manufacturer, with whatever version actually fixes the issue seen in #1.

We see far far too many issues with driver auto update things.
Never a good idea.

This beings to light 2 issues.
  1. Using that Driver Booster.
  2. Not having a good backup, to recover when Driver Booster borks up your system.

Reactions: Corwin65 and PEnns

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Never a good idea.

How to update drivers?

1. Only do it when you see an actual issue.
  2. Only directly from the manufacturer, with whatever version actually fixes the issue seen in #1.
We see far far too many issues with driver auto update things.
Never a good idea.

This beings to light 2 issues.
  1. Using that Driver Booster.
  2. Not having a good backup, to recover when Driver Booster borks up your system.
I update drivers because my pc isnt that great and its getting pretty old, so I update to try to keep it at its best performing state.

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Yet here we are.

A new driver version does not necessarily impart better performance.
Another update. Was playing a game when I got another blue screen except it stopped at the :( and nothing else. Restarted pc and now it’s flickering again.

is this happening because of the gpu? Or maybe my pc is dirty from not using it for a while?

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Also, when I try to start up the pc to the EZ debug led goes 1 2 1 if that helps with anything.

This flickering has actually happened multiple times, the last time was because my sata cable was faulty and I had to buy a new one.

PC Specs:
1050ti
3200 2x8
1tb HDD WD Blue
256gb Kingston SSD
MSI Z370M gaming pro ac
650 seasonic focus plus gold

Last edited:

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
This is simple, go into the bios or do what is needed to get in there. Make a boot drive on another computer using win pe, Go in the computer and see if it works. If so restore your backup. Unless you never made one, then see if you can boot in safe mode and uninstall the drivers you put in there, Delete them or they'll come back. Reboot on the correct drive and get the drivers from the manufacturer. Third party drivers can have viruses so don't use those driver websites. Hope you created a restore point.

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
As I said" do what is needed to get in there"<<<< Looks like you got in there. lol Still though, keep away from driver sites and run a virus scan now that it's working. Cool
I was able to use my pc the whole day today and just now it froze and I had to turn it off. Now it’s flickering again but I have no clue what the cause is.

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
what flickers?

full system spec?

have time to fresh os install?
So now I think it’s the battery or something with the motherboard because this pattern keeps happening:

1. Pc Freezes
  2. Turn off and turn back on, pc lights up but monitor gets no signal, and kbm don’t light up
  3. Turn off and turn back on and pc starts to flicker.
  4. Give it like an hour and pc is working again

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Right now my pc is in a pattern and I don’t know what’s wrong, is it my motherboard or cmos battery? Here’s the pattern:

1. Pc Freezes
  2. Turn off and turn back on, pc lights up but monitor gets no signal, and kbm don’t light up
  3. Turn off and turn back on and pc starts to flicker.
  4. Give it like an hour and pc is working again

matthewperacio

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
The battery only ensures you can save your BIOS settings. It doesn't directly impact booting or not.

When you make BIOS changes and power the system down, are the settings retained?
I can’t check, but when I removed the battery and put it back in all the lights are working, but usb and hdmi isn’t. Aswell as the MSI EZ debug leds keep going from 1 to 2 and back to 1 (cpu to dram)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you remove the battery, you reset the BIOS to its default state.

Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date (latest version available for it)?

Also, how old is your PSU?

Personally, your best bet might be to perform a full, clean install of Windows and your apps. Your previous driver apps have likely destroyed your registry and troubleshooting the damage may be impossible at this point.