Question Need help badly. My bios update froze at 10% it left me no option but to power off PC. Now I am stuck in Bios recovery mode.

Nov 23, 2022
My mobo is an Asus Z490-V. I have already downloaded the latest bios file and moved it to a USB stick. I used the renamer tool as well. I have read some motherboards have a flashback button. I'm not sure if mine does. I've been trying to fix this for hours and I'm at my wits end. Would appreciate any help. I'm currently looking at the Bios recovery mode black screen. I don't know how to get it to recognize the usb stick in order to start flashing the bios. I'm new here and I apologize if this isnt the correct place to ask. I would appreciate any help. Here is an album with 2 photos. One is the back of my pc where i have the usb stick in and the screen im looking at. I should add my pc doesnt have a cd rom drive.

i'd like to add that the .CAP file i downloaded from the asus site has a different name than the one in the Bios recovery mode message. Do I have to rename the file manually?
View: https://imgur.com/a/GCzNdvG

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My bios update froze at 10% it left me no option but to power off PC.

How long did you waited, before you killed the PC (power off)?

i'd like to add that the .CAP file i downloaded from the asus site has a different name than the one in the Bios recovery mode message.

Here, contact Asus and present them all what you've presented us. Also ask from them about the PZ490V.CAP file, perhaps they can supply it to you.

Do I have to rename the file manually?

Bad idea. The PZ490V.CAP may very well be recovery file for corrupt BIOS and if you replace it with latest BIOS version and try to initiate again, it can brick your MoBo for good.