Need help before purchase..

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
After a week of googling reviews, and tomshardware's forum members help, I gonna purchase these specs tomorrow.

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Processor - Intel i5-750
Graphic - Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 (KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX)
HDD - Seagate (3.5") 7200rpm SATA 3.0 500GB
ROM - Samsung 22X (SATA)
Windows - XP Professional (SP3)
PSU - Gigabyte SuperB 720W

Priorities of this PC to me is "Durable > HD videos > gaming"
Reason I pick PSU 720W because I will buy more 2 RAM and a HDD possibly in future.
For safety purpose, I need your help to check are these all compatible to each other? Will there be bottleneck exist? and are these specs durable?

P.S - I never off my old CPU Pentium 4 for years and it is still good now, I want new PC to be like this too :sol:

Solution
Your specs look fine. Just don't fiddle too much with the board or cpu heatsink; once it's installed, leave it alone. Your temps may be higher than others, but they usually run in the 40-60c range. I do a bare post on some installs on a phonebook to check the board, cpu, and ram first, then mount them in the case. You can also check the heatsink by turning the board over and see if all the pins of the heatsink are pressed on evenly for good contact between the cpu and heatsink.
Your specs look fine. Just don't fiddle too much with the board or cpu heatsink; once it's installed, leave it alone. Your temps may be higher than others, but they usually run in the 40-60c range. I do a bare post on some installs on a phonebook to check the board, cpu, and ram first, then mount them in the case. You can also check the heatsink by turning the board over and see if all the pins of the heatsink are pressed on evenly for good contact between the cpu and heatsink.

Solution

pd1388

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
hey
even i have a very simillar config in mind that i wanna buy except for the motherboard and graphics card....
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
and
Graphics Card: nVidia GT 240
and abt 6 gigs of ram
will be doing a lot of graphics nd 3d stuff.
will this config work well together?

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Yeah I didn't touch my CPU for years and it is good, but not long ago I take out the Graphic Card to clean the dust then it always hang/spike when open applications and gaming.

I will, not yet. :lol:

Seriously, I suggest you take the same motherboard as mine.
I read a lot reviews and most LGA1156 Gigabyte motherboards that support USB3 and SATA3 is bottleneck.
About the graphic card for your usage, take quadro is better.

One suggestion for cleaning fans using dust-off compressed gas. During cleaning, make sure that the fan blades are blocked from rotating, or else, the fan might rotate at a speed higher than the rated speed when the compressed gas is blown at it, thus damaging the bearings.

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks Ubrales for the cleaning tips.

Here's why I choose these components:
RAM > 7-7-7-20 1.65v (smaller value mean faster, better)
PSU > 80% energy efficiency / 80 plus-certified (idk, but everyone is talking about this)
MOBO > No bottleneck USB3 & SATA3
CPU > Simply value in money
GPU > For HD videos and light gaming
ROM > For complete sake

Am I getting correct items? If you got better recommend, please share it.

o1die has already given you his seal of approval - parts preference is a personal choice. As far as the 80%+ PSU, what it means is that at least 80% of the power drawn from the 110V outlet will be usable power (the rest will be wasted heat).
The Samsung SATA DVD is fine and works well. This item costs around $22, and is best purchased from your local store because of the hassle of returns and re-stocking fee in case of defective product.