Question Need help booting windows 10 USB

Aug 13, 2019
I have completed my pc build and am able to access the bios with no problems. I created a usb boot drive on another computer and tested it by booting onto it and it works fine. But, when I attempt to boot onto the USB from the desktop I just made it just gets stuck on a black screen with a white typing cursor at the top left. Please help! The motherboard is a X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming if that helps with anything. Thank you.

I have completed my pc build and am able to access the bios with no problems. I created a usb boot drive on another computer and tested it by booting onto it and it works fine. But, when I attempt to boot onto the USB from the desktop I just made it just gets stuck on a black screen with a white typing cursor at the top left. Please help! The motherboard is a X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming if that helps with anything. Thank you.

Just to clarify:

You are attempting to boot into the USB windows Installer from the windows desktop, or do you mean just computer in general when you say desktop? People often swap drives with previous OS installs into new systems, so just want to make sure.

Posting a hardware list may be helpful. Someone may recognize a compatibility problem the more specific you can be. This would also give people an idea of what troubleshooting options you have.

Absent that.

Is your BIOS version capable of supporting your CPU properly?

Is the USB stick plugged into a USB 2 port in the back USB port?
Is this visible in the BIOS?
If using a SATA drive, is it visible in the BIOS?
If using an M2 drive, is it visible in the BIOS?
Is the boot order in the BIOS set properly?

Only the required drives for boot / OS installation plugged in? Any other drives unplugged?

Optimized defaults loaded?
Are you running default clocks/settings in the BIOS?
NO overclocking or XMP ?

Is your memory on the QVL?
Memory in recommended slots?
Tried with only 1 memory stick?
Samsung VS Hynix on your DIMMs?

Does your CPU have integrated graphics support?
If you do have integrated graphics on your CPU, pull the video card out and check with motherboard graphics.

Aug 13, 2019
Just to clarify:

You are attempting to boot into the USB windows Installer from the windows desktop, or do you mean just computer in general when you say desktop? People often swap drives with previous OS installs into new systems, so just want to make sure.

I just made a new PC, I was reffering to the build as the desktop.

Posting a hardware list may be helpful. Someone may recognize a compatibility problem the more specific you can be. This would also give people an idea of what troubleshooting options you have.

Hardware List -
Motherboard - X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Graphics Card - GTX 1660 TI
Memory - Ballistix Sport 2x8GB
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600X
Power supply - PowerSpec 550w

Absent that.

Is your BIOS version capable of supporting your CPU properly?

Yes, the BIOS is fully updated and I am sure the CPU is compatible with the MOBO

Is the USB stick plugged into a USB 2 port in the back USB port?
I tried every different USB on the computer. Also tried booting the USB on another computer and it worked.
Is this visible in the BIOS?
I can see the USB in the bios boot options
If using a SATA drive, is it visible in the BIOS?
N/A
If using an M2 drive, is it visible in the BIOS?
N/A
Is the boot order in the BIOS set properly?
I tried using both the Boot order and the save and exit manual boot straight to the USB.

Only the required drives for boot / OS installation plugged in? Any other drives unplugged?
Both my Hard Drive and Solid State are plugged in.

Optimized defaults loaded?
Yes
Are you running default clocks/settings in the BIOS?
Yes
NO overclocking or XMP ?
No OC or XMP

Is your memory on the QVL?
No but it does show up in the BIOS (this could be the problem)
Memory in recommended slots?
Yes
Tried with only 1 memory stick?
No
Samsung VS Hynix on your DIMMs?
I am not sure what this means
Does your CPU have integrated graphics support?
No

If you do have integrated graphics on your CPU, pull the video card out and check with motherboard graphics.

The PSU...I see things written about it on the boards. NONE of what I have seen is good. Would recommend return/replace with a known quality unit.

Always unplug any drive that ISN'T going to be the boot drive when installing windows. The bootloader assignment isn't always selected as the system drive automatically. This can cause a variety of issues.

Ryzen is more sensitive to memory compatibility from what I have seen posted. Some postings state that if memory isn't on the QVL, that those with samsung chips seem to do better than other brands. Even if on the QVL, that the samsung chips tend to be able to be clocked higher. YMMV. Not being on the QVL doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. If not on the QVL, it either wasn't tested, or didn't pass the tests.

Do you have a different graphics card to test with? Just to eliminate that as a possible source of problems. Though you can get into the BIOS, still worth checking if failing in the windows install.

A different brand of USB thumb drive to test with ? Some systems simply don't like certain thumb drives for some reason. Using the rear ports, the smallest thumb drive possible, and USB2 helps narrow that down.

Plug the drives you intend to use into a working system, make sure that they power up and can be seen by the system.

Aug 13, 2019
The PSU...I see things written about it on the boards. NONE of what I have seen is good. Would recommend return/replace with a known quality unit.

Alright I will go tomorrow and replace this thank you

Always unplug any drive that ISN'T going to be the boot drive when installing windows. The bootloader assignment isn't always selected as the system drive automatically. This can cause a variety of issues.

I tried this and didint work but I will make sure to keep it this way

Ryzen is more sensitive to memory compatibility from what I have seen posted. Some postings state that if memory isn't on the QVL, that those with samsung chips seem to do better than other brands. Even if on the QVL, that the samsung chips tend to be able to be clocked higher. YMMV. Not being on the QVL doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. If not on the QVL, it either wasn't tested, or didn't pass the tests.

The memory brand doesent even show up on PC part picker so it seems pretty new

Do you have a different graphics card to test with? Just to eliminate that as a possible source of problems. Though you can get into the BIOS, still worth checking if failing in the windows install.

I do not, this is the only one I have

A different brand of USB thumb drive to test with ? Some systems simply don't like certain thumb drives for some reason. Using the rear ports, the smallest thumb drive possible, and USB2 helps narrow that down.

I can go out and buy one tomorrow to try

Plug the drives you intend to use into a working system, make sure that they power up and can be seen by the system.

I tested the boot drive on another computer and it did work.