Need help building a gaming PC with Cyber Monday deals ($1300 budget) [first time builder]

Nov 25, 2018
Approximate Purchase Date: Before the Cyber Monday deals are over. I don't mind waiting longer if I could get better deals after cyber monday, but I figure all the best deals of the year are going to happen this weekend.

Budget Range: $1300. I could go more since I may be looking at a completely new PC this time around and reusing less parts

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes at least one. I'd ideally like something in the 24-27" range. I have an old ASUS VH242 23" that I'm still using.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything except...
speakers
HD/SSD (I may want to buy a larger SSD in order to have more games installed at one time. My current one is only 100gb.
DVD drive
PSU (current one is a Corsair TX650, which I assume should be good enough for most modern builds?)
mouse/keyboard (both of these are really old as well, so if there are great deals currently for them, I'd consider getting new ones)
cpu heatsink/fan (One I have now is only a year old, but I'll probably need more thermal paste)
case (possibly keeping, but I'd like a new one as this one is really old as well. I think it's a Antec 900 series that I've been using for possibly more than 10 years now. It still works fine, but the fans and vents seem to get caked with dust somewhat quickly even after cleaning it out. I'm afraid the air flow may not be as good as I haven't taken all the hardware out since the PC was build in 2011 to give it a complete and deep cleaning).

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't mind using any as long as the deals are good and they're reputable.

Parts Preferences: ideally intel and nvidia as it's what I've used for decades. It's been a very very long time since I've used anything from AMD and I'm not sure if they're more competitive now.

Overclocking: I didn't plan on it, but I was reading a guide here saying it's encouraged that you OC now if you're building your own PC. I never did it in the past because I've had friends and family OC and mess up their CPU doing so. If it's safer to do now or even easier to do, I'd consider it. I just haven't done it before.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't plan on it

Your Monitor Resolution: At least 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I really would like to play the more modern games at high settings. It doesn't need to be maxed out an ultra high settings and running at 60 fps, but I'd like the PC to last a while. I'm the type of person who usually keeps a PC build for at least 5 years before deciding to build a new PC. I usually don't do many upgrades in between, mainly because I'm not sure if something will be compatible. I'd also like to have a desktop mic and separate earphones if there may be any good deals out there as well. I use to play a lot of online games on vent/discord and always hated using headsets with a built in mic. Although they may be cheaper, I didn't like having to wear a headset all the time when the weather was warmer. I do live in Seattle now, so its usually colder most of the year, so maybe it's not as big of a deal. I still wanted a good pair of earphones though since I do listen to quite a bit of music or watch a lot of movies/TV shows at my PC as well. I'm not sure if a sound card would be worth getting as I've never had one before and I'm not sure how big of a difference you'd get (I'm no audiophile) with one.

I don't like flashy looking peripherals or cases either. If the option is there to turn off all the "bling" and it's actually great hardware performance wise, I can always over look that.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've been having issues with my current PC for a while now. I notice little things here and there over the years and it feels like the overall performance has been slowing down. I'm not sure if hardware deteriorates over the years, but it's felt slower over time. The last 6 months or so I've been having a issue where my PC will just black screen on my and I can hear my PC fans(not sure which fan) then increase in it's speed as soon as it happens. If I'm watching a movie or even playing a low resource game, it will happen. In fact I was typing creating this thread earlier while playing a steam idle game and it happened. It makes it so I never know when my PC will decide to just black screen on me. When my PC does black screen, if I'm playing a game or watching a movie, the sound will still keep playing. I've left it on for over 20 mins after it black screens and the movie will continue playing the entire time. I thought it was maybe the graphics card. I tried pulling out my GPU and even putting it into my other PCI-E slot. I thought maybe that was the problem as it seemed to fix it for a few weeks. A week ago it just started happening again.

Please feel free to ask any other questions which I may have forgotten to leave here. I've been waiting for BF/Cyber Monday to come around and for the new 2080 GPUs to get released, hoping the 1080ti's to go down in price. I'd like a 1080 or 1080ti as it sounds like it's probably comparable to the newer 2080s. It may not be the best bang for your buck yet, but I figure it should last me quite a while without having to upgrade my GPU for at least a few years.

Nov 25, 2018

What are TN panels? It looks like the price of the monitor went back up to $600

I wish I knew all of the good hardware deals would have started early. I haven't shopped for BF or Cyber Monday in over a decade. I figure all PC parts would be on cyber monday and traditional in person deals would be on BF.

Don't buy that monitor at $600. Perhaps just wait until a similar sale.

Your current monitor is TN.

TN panels generally have: fast response times (1ms), good black levels, poor off-angle viewing color distortion, high refresh rates, colors can be washed out. The severity of the cons depends on the quality of the monitor. Some of todays higher end TN panels can be quite good.

VA panels (not AHVA) generally have, good response times (1ms-5ms), good black levels, middling off-angle viewing color distortion, medium-high refresh rates, colors somewhere between TN and IPS.

IPS panels generally have: slightly slower response times (5ms), poor black levels, excellent off-angle viewing (no color distortion), and rich colors. Only very good IPS panels can be driven at >75Hz.

This system at $1328.86 (before the monitor) has an i7 and a RTX 2080 to drive the 1440p Gsync monitor below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($314.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - H370 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($134.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($749.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB1 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1828.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-26 11:47 EST-0500

Nov 25, 2018

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273570817888 with an 9600k available for $245, would this be a better deal? I'm not sure if certain intel cpus are better for gaming/streaming.

I've also seen a lot of 3000 speed memory for about $100, is there anything special about the Crucial Ballistix Elite?

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Monoprice)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card ($504.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R Tempered Glass Newegg Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($179.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech - G613 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G402 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1442.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-27 02:29 EST-0500

For a change try AMD. Vega 64 is on par with GTX1080.
Included PSU as 650W is not enough for this setup. If you already had 850W PSU then you would have been fine. Now with this 850W PSU there will be no need for you to upgrade unless you get even crazier build with extremely high budget.
Included Keyboard and mouse for your reference. If you want you can buy them if your budget allows. You can sell your old stuff and add in to your budget. Up to you. You can skip them for now if you want.

You wouldn't want an i5 for streaming.