Build Advice Need help building a gaming pc

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 30, 2022
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me
Jun 30, 2022
A stronger card will not only give you better performance, but also last you longer. Apart from that, I didn't really understand your question here in the context of the builds you have provided. Here are a few observations though.

Personally, I am not a fan of Liquid Cooling due to a couple of unpleasant experiences, but that does not mean all of them are bad. The good ones are actually pretty expensive, when you compare the price to performance ratio. For eg. the Deepcool AK620 is a very good cooler at its price point, but to get similar performance from a Liquid Cooler, you will have to fetch something which is double the price or more. Thats a fact you cannot change.
Second, all Liquid Coolers are bound to fail at some point of time, the good ones will give you a solid 5yrs to 6yrs. Same is not the case for Air Coolers. I still have a First Generation i5 machine with Intel stock cooler that I fire up from time to time and the cooler still works fine for the temps I can see.
Third expensive good Liquid Coolers are actually meant for overclocking on high core count, and by high core count I mean 16 cores or higher where it can really showcase its true performance. For a 8 core 5800x you wont really need a cooler of that level. There is not much room for Overclocking on any platform these days and whatever little they offer is not worth the time and effort compared to the gain. Not to mention the expense of the high end AIOs like a Kraken, Celsius or Freezer. Also, the gain you will see compared to a good Air cooler on a low core count CPU, is not worth the price difference.

Coming to the NVME drive its better to get a SSD with DRAM cache for better performance...
"Solid State Drives with a DRAM chip boast better performance than DRAM-less SSDs. This is because DRAM is much faster than NAND Flash memory. Instead of your PC having to root around your SSD for the relevant data, your PC can go straight to the DRAM. As a result, your PC won’t have to wait very long for your SSD to retrieve the data it needs."
That WD SSD does not have DRAM cache.

Rest of it looks ok to me for both builds.
Sorry i should have worded it clearer, i wanted to know if the changes i've made to your first recomended build were viable.
Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | £271.98 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | £71.00 @ Technextday
Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard | £115.40 @ Technextday
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | £140.84 @ Scan.co.uk
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card | £663.48 @ Ebuyer
Case | Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £80.99 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £109.99 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1453.68
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-30 18:00 BST+0100 |

and my edited list

Mainly the case and the cooler. As i understand now the 60 £ liquid cooler wont be as good as the 70£ air cooler.
I would like to know is the case a good deal or is it worse than the one you recomended.
And lastly is paying extra 6£ for and oc version of graphic card is a good idea or is it more risky, prone to crashes?

Reactions: helper800
Jun 30, 2022
I've re-watched that video a few times before, and... I'm just not as impressed about cpu AIO compared to gpu AIO.
I used to be pro-cpu air cooler - but don't knock the other option 'till you've tried it yourself, right? So I did... and that's what led to my poor impression of cpu AIO, including why so many recommend/opt for top cpu AIO.
If only gpu AIO was more accessible and convenient to users... man, oh man, that would be game changing with these increasing gpu power hogs.

@Hidanscythe , what's your upgrade cycle like - how often do you upgrade platform(cpu/mobo/ram) and gpu?
Do you sell off the old stuff, or do they become hand-me-downs?
Hmm my current pc is 8 years old i upgraded my graphic card 2 years ago to an 1070ti. I plan to sell it if i can tbh its not in a good condition, i will keep my old hdd hard drive.
I am buying a new pc in hopes it will last atleast 5 years, after that i think i would be ok with making another full custom build from zero and sell the old one. Unless prices skyrocket then i would try to upgrade parts one by one.

Jun 30, 2022
Ok my latest updated list.
Few questions i still have.
How big of a difference is between
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive and Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ?Does a 1024 mb cache increase performance? (i dont mind one being 500gb)
Can i ignore this ?( i googled how to upgrade bios seems easy enough)
Warning: The Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version F10. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
Can someone link a good liquid cooler for this build?
And lastly is the case large enough to fit all the parts in with an extra hdd hard drive?

Ok my latest updated list.
Few questions i still have.
How big of a difference is between
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive and Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ?Does a 1024 mb cache increase performance? (i dont mind one being 500gb)
Can i ignore this ?( i googled how to upgrade bios seems easy enough)
Warning: The Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version F10. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
Can someone link a good liquid cooler for this build?
And lastly is the case large enough to fit all the parts in with an extra hdd hard drive?
You can get whichever you want between 500gb and 1tb of the 970 Evo. A larger drive is theoretically faster, but in day to day usage you will hardly feel any difference. A NVME drive is plenty fast anyway.

The case seems to have front and top mesh, which is good for airflow, and a cooler clearance of 168mm, which should fit the 165mm air coolers. For liquid cooling, you can use this as a reference...