Build Advice Need help building a gaming pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 30, 2022
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me
Jun 30, 2022
I agree, but the usage it reflects is mostly not real. its what has been allotted to the game. If you use a stronger card, the usage will climb even more, but the game doesn't usually use all of it. Skyrim mods like VRAM but there is a diminishing value of return after a certain point.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/kxrc9t/how_vram_really_works_in_skyrim/

Also, I can see that it is more optimized for Nvidia cards...
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/pwxe2i/the_new_6000_series_gpus_and_skyrim_se/

Agree with the storage part...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | £271.98 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | £71.00 @ Technextday
Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard | £115.40 @ Technextday
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | £140.84 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage | Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £49.99 @ AWD-IT
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card | £663.48 @ Ebuyer
Case | Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £89.00 @ Computer Orbit
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £109.99 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1511.68
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-30 18:42 BST+0100 |
Hmm i got a question is the graphic card overclocked and what is the benefit of 140£ memory over a cheaper one?

I don’t see where the gpu is overclocked, but a 3070ti is a very fast card to begin with so I wouldn’t get too hung up on whether your gpu is overclocked.

Someone mentioned having a vetroo cooler, I’ve got one as well and for the money they are good. They come with either brackets for 2 fans, so I got 2 high flow fans and don’t use the stock fan. I’ve got mine using a push pull on the cooler and it works fine.

Hmm i got a question is the graphic card overclocked and what is the benefit of 140£ memory over a cheaper one?
GPU overclock doesn't really make a significant difference and if you want you can OC it yourself. There are plenty of programs like MSI Afterburner to OC your card.
As for the memory, Ryzen likes faster memory with tighter timing. It will give you the best performance. 3600mhz CL16 is the sweet spot. But, there is no hard and fast rule. You can go with slower speed or looser timing as well if you wanna save some money.

Reactions: Hidanscythe
Jun 30, 2022
GPU overclock doesn't really make a significant difference and if you want you can OC it yourself. There are plenty of programs like MSI Afterburner to OC your card.
As for the memory, Ryzen likes faster memory with tighter timing. It will give you the best performance. 3600mhz CL16 is the sweet spot. But, there is no hard and fast rule. You can go with slower speed or looser timing as well if you wanna save some money.
Ooh i dont know im kinda scared of overcloking a card myself ive heard you can damage it or make it unstable so it crashes on games is that true?
And which one is faster
or
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ooh i dont know im kinda scared of overcloking a card myself ive heard you can damage it or make it unstable so it crashes on games is that true?
Today's gpus overclock themselves dynamically, and some of the aftermarket models have an additional 2-3% on top of the dynamic OC. You really don't need to do anything beyond having a good psu and airflow.

3060 < 3060Ti < 3070 < 3070Ti < 3080

I agree, but the usage it reflects is mostly not real. its what has been allotted to the game. If you use a stronger card, the usage will climb even more, but the game doesn't usually use all of it. Skyrim mods like VRAM but there is a diminishing value of return after a certain point.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/kxrc9t/how_vram_really_works_in_skyrim/

Also, I can see that it is more optimized for Nvidia cards...
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/pwxe2i/the_new_6000_series_gpus_and_skyrim_se/

Agree with the storage part...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | £271.98 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | £71.00 @ Technextday
Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard | £115.40 @ Technextday
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | £140.84 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage | Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £49.99 @ AWD-IT
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card | £663.48 @ Ebuyer
Case | Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £89.00 @ Computer Orbit
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £109.99 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1511.68
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-30 18:42 BST+0100 |
You might want to recommend this case instead of that Corsair 4000D that comes with a single 120mm front intake fan.

https://www.cclonline.com/lancool-i...mesh-performance-mid-tower-gaming-case-black/
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance Mid Tower Case £90.39

You might want to recommend this case instead of that Corsair 4000D that comes with a single 120mm front intake fan.

https://www.cclonline.com/lancool-i...mesh-performance-mid-tower-gaming-case-black/

Either of them should be fine. They are both good cases for airflow.

Either of them should be fine. They are both good cases for airflow.
More times than naught the user is going to want to add another front intake fan and they're most likely to add the same model number as the current intake fan. Corsair tmk has never made an inexpensive fan. NZXT does the same thing with their 510 cases knowing their going to hose the buyer later down the road when he/she wants to add another fan in the front for better airflow.

More times than naught the user is going to want to add another front intake fan and they're most likely to add the same model number as the current intake fan. Corsair tmk has never made an inexpensive fan. NZXT does the same thing with their 510 cases knowing their going to hose the buyer later down the road when he/she wants to add another fan in the front for better airflow.
There are plenty of good quality, cheap, high CFM case fans out there that can outperform the stock fans of cases. As it is, both of them cases performs pretty well in the reviews without adding any extra fans. So, either of them should be a good choice.

logainofhades

Titan

That's why I chose the Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case . 2x200mm fans, with full mesh, is great for airflow, and keeping the noise down.

If I were to do a build with this budget it would look like this with intel flavor;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (£252.29 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£61.22 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£159.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£102.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£72.78 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£699.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£101.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £1526.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-01 19:29 BST+0100

logainofhades

Titan
Intel rig, I would go this route. Overclocking is a waste of time, these days. I personally would rather have the extra P cores.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor (£316.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AS500 70.81 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£139.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£99.56 @ Box Limited)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£72.78 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card (£699.99 @ AWD-IT)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case (£55.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £1504.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-01 21:00 BST+0100

Jun 30, 2022
Hmm i've been an avid user of nvidia graphic cards for so long it feels strange to change to an amd one.
As for cooler isn't a liquid cooler way better than a non liquid cooler?
I've combined some of the suggestions into a setup like this but it is getting quite expensive.
Is the above setup good or should i have kept it as is?@Hellfire13
But i guess if im not planning to upgrade any time soon i might aswell spend 1500£ instead of 1200£
And i keep getting bios compatibility warning should i be worried about it or not?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No. A big fat no. They both have pros and cons.
Major cons of the AIO coolers:
-their cost over time. The retail price is deceptive.
-reliability. They are not leak proof, but leak resistant, which goes hand in hand with the point about cost if your luck is really, really bad.
The pump will eventually succumb to either mechanical/biological/chemical failure, and there's no way to fix it, so you're forced to buy another cooler, which goes into cost again.
Best have a backup on hand so you don't incur too much downtime(cost yet again).

Major cons of air coolers:
-quite a few of the good ones are large, so case compatibility may become a problem.
-compared to liquid, they don't hold up as well under high, sustained heat loads, which none of the Ryzen 5000 cpus really do.

If your budget isn't very flexible, leave the AIO alone for now.

No. A big fat no. They both have pros and cons.
Major cons of the AIO coolers:
-their cost over time. The retail price is deceptive.
-reliability. They are not leak proof, but leak resistant, which goes hand in hand with the point about cost if your luck is really, really bad.
The pump will eventually succumb to either mechanical/biological/chemical failure, and there's no way to fix it, so you're forced to buy another cooler, which goes into cost again.
Best have a backup on hand so you don't incur too much downtime(cost yet again).

Major cons of air coolers:
-quite a few of the good ones are large, so case compatibility may become a problem.
-compared to liquid, they don't hold up as well under high, sustained heat loads, which none of the Ryzen 5000 cpus really do.

If your budget isn't very flexible, leave the AIO alone for now.
If it was not clear AIOs are performatively better. that 240mm AIO is better at cooling and heat soak than a Noctua NH-D15, the best air cooler on the market, and it is 60 quid vs 93 for the Noctua. Typically an AIO from corsair lasts about 4-7 years in my experience before the pump dies, which is about as long as a lot of people find their computers performance is relevant and get a new one. I personally build once every 6-8 years and have used liquid coolers since before they became much more reliable in about 2012. The odds of a leak are really quite small (1-2%) and even if it does leak computers are much, much more resilient to leaks of conductive materials than they used to be. He made another Video later and all it actually killed on the card was the HDMI port the monitor was plugged into. That card still works just not on that HDMI port.

Intel rig, I would go this route. Overclocking is a waste of time, these days. I personally would rather have the extra P cores.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor (£316.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AS500 70.81 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
I would get a better cooler for a 12700f than that because if they are not good enough it will affect performance because of boost clocks.

If it was not clear AIOs are performatively better. that 240mm AIO is better at cooling and heat soak than a Noctua NH-D15, the best air cooler on the market, and it is 60 quid vs 93 for the Noctua. Typically an AIO from corsair lasts about 4-7 years in my experience before the pump dies, which is about as long as a lot of people find their computers performance is relevant and get a new one. I personally build once every 6-8 years and have used liquid coolers since before they became much more reliable in about 2012. The odds of a leak are really quite small (1-2%) and even if it does leak computers are much, much more resilient to leaks of conductive materials than they used to be. He made another Video later and all it actually killed on the card was the HDMI port the monitor was plugged into. That card still works just not on that HDMI port.

I would get a better cooler for a 12700f than that because if they are not good enough it will affect performance because of boost clocks.
https://computerorbit.com/products/deepcool-ak620-high-performance-cooler
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler £55.00

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

Reactions: helper800

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it was not clear AIOs are performatively better. that 240mm AIO is better at cooling and heat soak than a Noctua NH-D15
They are not, from my experience - granted, is less than yours.
Coming from my 7820X(200w monster under the right loads) it didn't start to matter until experiments with all core OC + thermal testing(Prime 95/OCCT) came into play that my D15S with 2 fans started to lag behind the Eisbaer Aurora 360.
Prime 95/OCCT don't at all represent how I normally use my PC, and I wouldn't let the fans on either cooler run full bore - no, I'm going to tune them both to my comfort zone.
Besides that, I can't tell a meaningful difference between the 2 coolers during every day use. The cpu is far from hitting 100C in either case.
I did notice that the D15S ran cooler at low load than the Eisbear did when I mounted it at the top of my H500P Mesh w/custom mesh top panel. When moved to the front, they were about the same in that field.
While an AIO does soak better than air coolers do, don't forget that it also takes them longer to cool down. That means they too can be overwhelmed, though not in the same manner than an air cooler.[choke the AIO's fans]

AIOs have a few weaknesses that keep them from completely beating the pants off air coolers, with the exception of certain professional applications that apply core heavy loads.
1)Their low flow rates, even when maxed out. Already crippled from the gate with this one, just like Corsair's H150i Pro, with its crippled fans.
2)The high FPI radiators. Most of them are like 23FPI or something, last I remember. This one bugs me, because: Why don't they just utilize lower FPI radiators for them? Low FPI rads are optimized for LOWER FAN RPM, and hardly anyone cares to run their fans very high anyway.
I know there are custom rads with much lower FPI.
OH, now that I look at it, the Eisbaer Aurora's radiator is 15FPI - what the heck are these other companies doing? They should be doing this too...

3)The fans. This goes hand in hand with number 2.
Ever noticed how so many AIOs ship with loud, high rpm fans? It's because the cooler's optimal performance isn't until the higher rpm range, no thanks to the higher FPI.
But, they become too audible to most users before that point. No one wants to do their work or play with some jet engine or whatever running next to them - they're going to keep the fan speeds low.

4)Location in the case.
Whether one is adding a little, or a lot more resistance on top of the radiator's FPI with the panel its being installed against: open mesh, solid, or semi-solid.
What you choose to let the radiator cool down with: fresh air directly from the front/side, some from the front/side and sloppy seconds from below, or from the front/side + rear and some sloppy seconds below.

All that crap narrows the performance gap between AIOs and air coolers.
it is 60 quid vs 93 for the Noctua.
93 quid for a part that I can use indefinitely, and has the possibility to be used in future builds, doesn't sound bad at all.
60 quid every time one of these fails, and the old one becomes e-waste, because you definitely shouldn't be selling it. I guess it doesn't matter if one is earning money, but our POVs on how we value that will be different.
To me, the latter really isn't all that, as it trades blows with the former.
Plus, it warrants having another cooler on hand in case of a failure, or for troubleshooting, so that means 2 coolers, making it more expensive than it seems. So 60 quid becomes 60 + the cost of the backup. Even if it means getting a little ol' Vetroo V5(~35 quid currently) for a backup, that just put one over the cost of the Noctua.

Typically an AIO from corsair lasts about 4-7 years in my experience before the pump dies
From your end, ok, but what's the actual average like when the daily usage is different?
Some have lasted less than a year, some have gone as long as... 9 years was the longest I think I've heard? So the average is around 5 years? Ehh, I get the feeling the average is less than that, some people don't bother with the warranty and just buy a new one...

Corsair gets theirs from the same couple companies as most of the others do; few actually do theirs in house.

The odds of a leak are really quite small (1-2%)
I'm aware the odds are small, but they're still there, and user error can increase the odds.

even if it does leak computers are much, much more resilient to leaks of conductive materials than they used to be. He made another Video later and all it actually killed on the card was the HDMI port the monitor was plugged into. That card still works just not on that HDMI port.
And yet, folks still manage to find ways to kill their stuff :/

Hmm i've been an avid user of nvidia graphic cards for so long it feels strange to change to an amd one.
I've combined some of the suggestions into a setup like this but it is getting quite expensive.
Is the above setup good or should i have kept it as is?@Hellfire13
But i guess if im not planning to upgrade any time soon i might aswell spend 1500£ instead of 1200£
And i keep getting bios compatibility warning should i be worried about it or not?
A stronger card will not only give you better performance, but also last you longer. Apart from that, I didn't really understand your question here in the context of the builds you have provided. Here are a few observations though.

Personally, I am not a fan of Liquid Cooling due to a couple of unpleasant experiences, but that does not mean all of them are bad. The good ones are actually pretty expensive, when you compare the price to performance ratio. For eg. the Deepcool AK620 is a very good cooler at its price point, but to get similar performance from a Liquid Cooler, you will have to fetch something which is double the price or more. Thats a fact you cannot change.
Second, all Liquid Coolers are bound to fail at some point of time, the good ones will give you a solid 5yrs to 6yrs. Same is not the case for Air Coolers. I still have a First Generation i5 machine with Intel stock cooler that I fire up from time to time and the cooler still works fine for the temps I can see.
Third expensive good Liquid Coolers are actually meant for overclocking on high core count, and by high core count I mean 16 cores or higher where it can really showcase its true performance. For a 8 core 5800x you wont really need a cooler of that level. There is not much room for Overclocking on any platform these days and whatever little they offer is not worth the time and effort compared to the gain. Not to mention the expense of the high end AIOs like a Kraken, Celsius or Freezer. Also, the gain you will see compared to a good Air cooler on a low core count CPU, is not worth the price difference.

Coming to the NVME drive its better to get a SSD with DRAM cache for better performance...
"Solid State Drives with a DRAM chip boast better performance than DRAM-less SSDs. This is because DRAM is much faster than NAND Flash memory. Instead of your PC having to root around your SSD for the relevant data, your PC can go straight to the DRAM. As a result, your PC won’t have to wait very long for your SSD to retrieve the data it needs."
That WD SSD does not have DRAM cache.

Rest of it looks ok to me for both builds.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is what I will leave here. My opinion is that AIOs are worth it over traditional coolers. The E-waste in an AIO is almost zero as everything except the plastic is recyclable because its mostly just metal mass.
I've re-watched that video a few times before, and... I'm just not as impressed about cpu AIO compared to gpu AIO.
I used to be pro-cpu air cooler - but don't knock the other option 'till you've tried it yourself, right? So I did... and that's what led to my poor impression of cpu AIO, including why so many recommend/opt for top cpu AIO.
If only gpu AIO was more accessible and convenient to users... man, oh man, that would be game changing with these increasing gpu power hogs.

@Hidanscythe , what's your upgrade cycle like - how often do you upgrade platform(cpu/mobo/ram) and gpu?
Do you sell off the old stuff, or do they become hand-me-downs?