Need help building a Graphic/Web Design/Devolpment System

Airrick

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for some help with designing a graphic/web design/devolpment computer. I'm no expert but I know the very basics of building a computer after helping a friend put together a mid-range gaming pc.
This pc will be used for the next 3 years for my degree in web design and devolpment. I will have a lot of graphic design, programming, and software devolpment classes. I would like for this PC to get me starting, and hopefully be used as my entry level work computer after my degree.

It will be running:
All of the adobe create suite programs. Mainly Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver. However a few of my courses require the video and audio editing but this is secondary. Sometimes one or two files up at the same time.
Other web design programs such as WordPress.
Ill be working with java, ruby, python and a few other programming languages
Possibly play some games on it, this is really the last thing of important though. Im a casual gamer and dont need 4k at max setting. But being able to pop in a new game and play a few hours a week would be nice.

What I need to get out of the system.
Quick Windows start up (I believe we can run the OS from a ssd to make this faster correct?)
Quick start up and fast reaction and processing from the design programs. (I believe you can use a ramdisk here correct?)(Or perhaps having a dedicated graphics/Gpu? I dont know this part well)
Other less important information such as my music and personal videos I can run from a HDD.
I need to be able to use at least two, possibly three monitors. Ideally with the ability to run one horizontal and the other vertical.
Internet connection is okay hardline, if it can be wireless thats cool too, but if hardline is faster and cheaper, thats what I would prefer.
The monitors need to be at least somewhat good quality for video and design. This is more entry level stuff, but I would like to be able to increase the quality of my work and not be held by immensely by the color and depth of the monitor.

Other notes and personal preferences
My budget will be around 1,200. 1,500 max. If needed I would prefer pay a little more up front and leave room to improve. Like... I need two monitors, but if that isnt in the budget, I would prefer too spend 200 on a cpu that can support 2-3 monitors than buy a 150 cpu than can only run 1. Same thing for Ram and graphics and audio card.
Keyboard and Mouse are optional, I have some basics ones around the house, but if you guys know of any that really save time for design or web development and will fit in the budget let me know.
Art tablet, not technically part of the system, but if you are aware of any good quality ones feel free to add.
Audio- My degree wont require alot of video or auditing, but It does have a little. If I can get by with a built in audio card that would be nice, If not a lower end okay one would suffice I believe. (but the ability to improve would be nice)
If overclocking would be extremely beneficial for the buck, I wouldnt be opposed too it, but if so one that is somewhat user friendly would be beneficial. If not thats fine.
Case I dont have any preference on color or design, as long as its practical i just able able to fit all I need into it and keep it cool.
USB/HDMI it would be nice to have at least 2-3 USB and an HDMI or two so I can connect to my tv while watching movies, and use the usb for all the daily task.
Disk/Blu ray drive I believe everything I will be running I can download offline. So this is optional. (You can purchase windows and boot it from a flash correct?) I would prefer to put money into performance and get a external later down the road if needed.
If there are any other major components or ideas that are common for design/development please let me know.
I would hopefully like this future proofed for the next few years at least. So If I need to get I7 instead of I5 and such now, that would be ideal.

Thanks for the help,
Airrick

Solution
Hey Airrick, I made a build that scratches the very top of your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower...

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey Airrick, I made a build that scratches the very top of your budget.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 60Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 60Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1502.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-06 18:38 EDT-0400

This build comes with two 1080p monitors, a i7-6700k (4 cores, 8 threads), a 500GB quality Samsung 850 EVO SSD (if you need more storage i suggest getting yourself a 1TB HDD with a 240GB SSD or pick a 1TB hard drive down the line), a EVGA GTX 1060 SC graphics card, and 16GB of DDR4 RAM. This will be great for your productivity and gaming needs.

Solution

Airrick

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Thank you, would it be possible to increase to 24 gb memory and use 8 as a ram drive? Also just for future wondering, would this be able to support three monitors in the future if i needed it?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes the 10XX series supports 3 monitors per card. Although why would you need a RAM drive? That requires a system that is always powered on.

Also do not buy the EVGA Nex series - those are not good units, you want at least an EVGA G2 or a Seasonic X, those are the best you can get. The Nex series are a low end tier 3 / tier 4 PSU. I might incline to suggest a workstation build:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($283.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PNY Quadro K4000 3GB Video Card ($486.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1381.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 13:45 EDT-0400

That gives you enough left over for monitors and OS license.

Airrick

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
The difference between processors is a little over my head. Can you explain the major differences between i7 and the xeon in a laymans terms? How does it affect typical user interface?

Also what are the benefits of the PNY quadro in comparison to the Geforce graphics for the price hike? From what I have seen a lot of the designers are using one of the geforce cards, is the cost really worth it?

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

You won't see a massive different between Quadro and GeForce unless you eat VRAM for breakfast (heavy 4K editing).

A Xeon can use ECC memory, has no iGPU, and is usually cheaper per core.

A i7 (K-series) can overclock, has a higher GHz-price ratio.

I side by the fact that a i7 will be enough for web editing and your tasks. No need for all the extra cores if you won't use them.

Airrick

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
So, to make sure Im following this roughly. Xeon has ECC, which helps with prevented corrupted files (right?, how usefull is that?). Its cheaper per core, but not enough to match the initial bang of the i7 overclocked. Meaning single core applications would run faster on the i7. If I was planning on running multiple application or multi-core applications the Xeon would be better because each core would handle one task? Also does the IGPU matter really if we are investing in a nice video card?

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

Xeon's cores are no different than a i7's cores. ECC is really only useful for servers that absolutely NEED to stay online 24/7. Normal RAM will be fine for daily use. The iGPU was just a difference, I wasn't suggesting you use it. Most web applications are more single-threaded, so faster cores will be more beneficial than a lot of slower cores (Xeon).