Need help building a PC (around 1000$)

Tim Gold

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
I need help to build my pc. I am updraging from FX-4100 and radeon 7700. I won't overclock. The pc will be used for gaming and recording with some light video editing.

Here is what I have come up with:
CPU: I7-4770
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (cheaper version)
MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb
PSU: 620w Seasonic Semi-Modular
HDD: 1tb 7200rpm
SSD: will add later

Solution
Looking good. I'd get the 4790 instead of the 4770, may as well get the latest generation. I'd also recommend thinking about getting the 4790K even if you don't think you'll overclock. It's a nice option to have in the future when the cpu starts showing its age. You'll probably never end up OCing, but it's only an extra $20 or so.

If you do decide to get the K, there is one more expense now that I think about it. You'd also need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Even if you aren't sure you'll ever overclock, it's much easier to put the cooler on while initially building the computer instead of going back and redoing the cooler later down the road. You can get a decent cooler (hyper 212 evo) for around $30.

Great motherboard for the price...

Tim Gold

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

Tim Gold

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

I am not going to add another card for some time (until I upgrade to 4K) so I will upgrade the PSU then and build a new pc with the old PSU

Looking good. I'd get the 4790 instead of the 4770, may as well get the latest generation. I'd also recommend thinking about getting the 4790K even if you don't think you'll overclock. It's a nice option to have in the future when the cpu starts showing its age. You'll probably never end up OCing, but it's only an extra $20 or so.

If you do decide to get the K, there is one more expense now that I think about it. You'd also need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Even if you aren't sure you'll ever overclock, it's much easier to put the cooler on while initially building the computer instead of going back and redoing the cooler later down the road. You can get a decent cooler (hyper 212 evo) for around $30.

Great motherboard for the price. I'm redoing my system in two weeks and that's the board I am eyeballing (going for a blue theme).

Solution