Need help burning multiple .MKV files to blu ray disc

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I am not sure if this is even the right forum for this but here goes.....

I have several seasons of various tv shows in .mkv format. I would like to burn some of those on to multiple disks. Now, I know a single layer blu ray can hold 25 GB of data but what does that translate to in video? What if the video is a 2 GB 720x480 60 minute MKV file? How many of such files should I be able to fit on a single blu ray disc?

What is a good program to use for converting and burning? My first choice is free but I will
gladly pay if the program will do what I want. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Most modern DVD/BD players can play media files as well, I would rather go this way and convert the MKVs into something more mainstream. OTOH - a media player capable of playing MKVs can be had for less than $100. Your non-Apple phone or tablet could have the capability to connect to external monitor, too.

BluRay disk file structure is quite different from DVD, so I am not surprised "DVD" makers fail to produce BD. I would rather stick with DVDs for that.
Do you want to store these as data (.mkv files), or as a playable-in-any-BluRay-player disk?
In first case, you can fit as many as you can. In the second case, it depends what quality you want to make your target disk.

Recent versions of eg PowerDVD can author BluRay disks.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I am looking to make them playable on any blu ray player. The idea is to take stuff to the cottage to watch. There is a satellite but it is quite isolated due to very tall leafy trees so all it takes is a cloudy day to lose reception. I would be happy if the target disc was simply in dvd quality as most of the programs are standard definition anyway. Is it possible to do that on a bluray disc? I tried using Any video converter to convert the mkv files to dvd and burn on a bluray but that did not work. It showed the disc size as 22.5GB and it allowed me to add 8 hour long episodes to the disc but after the conversion was complete(which took over 4 hours), the program said the destination disc was too small. This was strange because as I added each episode, the size on disc kept creeping up until I approached 21GB then I stopped adding files. Maybe the problem was trying to burn dvd format on a bluray?

Most modern DVD/BD players can play media files as well, I would rather go this way and convert the MKVs into something more mainstream. OTOH - a media player capable of playing MKVs can be had for less than $100. Your non-Apple phone or tablet could have the capability to connect to external monitor, too.

BluRay disk file structure is quite different from DVD, so I am not surprised "DVD" makers fail to produce BD. I would rather stick with DVDs for that.

Solution

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

You know, the thought hadn't occurred to me to convert them to another file format that by Ray player will read. Any thoughts on a file format that may work or should I figure out what the machine will play and work backwards from there. I do know that the machine is fairly old. Going up this weekend. Will look more into it.

Thanks.