need help case fans (airflow)

panayiotis96

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hello, i decided to buy the CASE CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 88R MICROATX MID-TOWER and my pc specs are the following. CPU INTEL CORE I5-6500 3.20GHZ LGA1151 , Antec VP-450 Power Supply, MSI B150M BAZOOKA motherboard, HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 and a HDD TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 3.5'' SATA3. The only thing i didn't ordered are the fans. The case can support 5 fans: Front: (x2) 120mm, Top: (x2) 120mm, Rear: (x1) 120mm (only front is included). I think for a nice airflow the 2 front must be intake, the 1 or 2 top outake (suggestions?) and the rear outake. pic (http://www.corsair.com/en/~/media/C3A28F28239E494895B13674507A850D.ashx). The fans that i think i will buy are 2 corsair air series AF120 Performance Edition High Airflow. With the 2 i will buy and the one it has i will have 3 fans. Also, i have 2 old ones ( http://postimg.org/image/xofjkh69d/ ) Can i use them also or you don't recommend it. Okay, that is all do you agree? Please provide me some feedback. Thanks!!

Solution

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Adding fans to a case is a balance, you will improve airflow, lowering the internal temperatures but will increase the noise that your pc makes.

I could see that you dont use a discrete gpu and neither a CPU cooler, maybe you plan to use the stock one?

Your Mb have two header to system fans:
- 1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
- 2 x 4-pin system fan connectors

With so little heat generation inside ( I5-6500 is only a 65w TDP and you dont use a Gpu) i would limit to two system fans and a proper Cpu cooler.

If i would mount it mysefl, my choice.
- Front: 120mm intake fan connected to Mb, you will need to purchase it, my bet a Noctua NF-S12B redux 700, good airflow with really low dBs
- Back: the stock 120mm fan (Corsair fans aren't great fans but neither horrible ones, maybe a bit too much noise at high speeds) connected to the second header fan on the Mb or purchase a second Noctua.
- Cpu, a nocuta NH-U9B SE2 or something like that, with 150mm clearance you have a lot of options

panayiotis96

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Thanks for your reply! I will not use a discrete gpu since my cpu comes with Intel HD Graphics 530 and i am not really into gaming. Maybe in future i will install also a gpu. Yes, i will use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU since i will not overclock. I know that noctua are better but there are identical to corsair af-120 and i can buy 2 corsair fans in the price of 1 noctua fan. I think 2 front intake fans and 1 outake fan at the back will be good or maybe another one old fan i have as an outake and to be connected on the psu.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

That's mainly a question of dB, with Corsair ones, specially if you dont regulate then to spin at lower Rpm you will get a sizabe amount of noise (both fan and airflow ones) from the pc, as im very sensible to that i prefer to minimize the sound.

I don't really recomend that. I could understand to get a Corsair and use the second Mb header fan to power it (and regulate the spin speed depending on the Cpu temps), its cheap and will give you a good compromise between cooling and airflow.

But if you get a third fan (second intake) and plug it into the PSU it will spin at full speed, and would make a lot of noise even when is not needed (for example at browsing with cpu cool), at least if you choose that way purchase a fan that have a resistance that allow you to make it spin at lower speeds conected to the PSU.

The problem of the stock cooler is that outside overcloking give higher temperatures for the same noise, you could get decent (not good) temperatures on high Cpu load but you will also get a lot of noise in the process.

You will get a lot more improvement in temps with one intake, the default exaust one and a mid range CPU cooler (and use what the second fan would cost to you to cover part of the cost of the CPU cooler).

panayiotis96

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I purchased 2 fans : 1 NOCTUA NF-S12A PWM FAN 120MM that i will put in front above and 1 CORSAIR AIR SERIES SP120 120MM PWM QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE FAN that i will put in front under the noctua. The stock one i will put it at the back of the tower, The 2 front and cpu stock cooler will be connected to motherboard. The stock one and one older fan i have will be connected to psu. To control the speed of the fans do i need a fan controller? Will the other fans (the ones connected to mobo) adjust by them selfs or i need to control them from bios? Will this ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 - FAN CONTROLLER work with the stock case fan? and if you connect it with a connector do you have to do something else or it will slow down the speed by its self. Thanks again!

MeltedTrout4

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

For 120mm these should help http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA59T.... They are MUCH better than those Noctua nfs f12 in terms of static pressure and airflow and are much cheaper.

Solution