Need help Celeron G1 433 128 MB Ram Slow Install Win98SE

Hello:

I recently reformatted my 6.4 GB HD after we had stalling issues with
the computer.
Installed Win98SE again and the install time was estimated at 313
minutes!
I swapped out memory, replaced a HD and had the power supply checked
from a friend.

I am at wits loss.

Any help on why the computer is now crawling on an install would be
most appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

Bad CD drivers. Virus or other malware infection. There are numerous
reasons for your symptoms. Is this a clean installation?

"alijsyed" <alijsyed@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I recently reformatted my 6.4 GB HD after we had stalling issues with
> the computer.
> Installed Win98SE again and the install time was estimated at 313
> minutes!
> I swapped out memory, replaced a HD and had the power supply checked
> from a friend.
>
> I am at wits loss.
>
> Any help on why the computer is now crawling on an install would be
> most appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>

> Ali

"alijsyed" <alijsyed@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I recently reformatted my 6.4 GB HD after we had stalling issues with
> the computer.
> Installed Win98SE again and the install time was estimated at 313
> minutes!
> I swapped out memory, replaced a HD and had the power supply checked
> from a friend.
>
> I am at wits loss.
>
> Any help on why the computer is now crawling on an install would be
> most appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>

> Ali

Make sure the hard drive is jumpered Cable Select and is set to AUTO in the
BIOS. Symptoms sound like the drive is set to OFF. It works, but
sloooooowly.

Tom

> Any help on why the computer is now crawling on an install would be
> most appreciated.

Just a couple of suggestions...

Make sure the processor is detected correctly in the BIOS (on a machine
of that age, its possible the battery is flat and its forgotten what it
had been set up for)

If you have SMART built into the HD, switch it on. It won`t help your
problem, but if there`s something brewing you`ll hopefully get to know
about it.

Yes this is an absolute clean install from a formatted HD

If this helps

alijsyed wrote:
> Yes this is an absolute clean install from a formatted HD
>
> If this helps

Processor speed setting in bios set to "compatible" and not "normal"?

That's what it was!
Sometimes the obvious isn't.

Thanks everyone. You guys rock for your quick advice!

Ali