[SOLVED] Need Help Changing my Boot Drive from my Hard Drive to my new SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reaganbush84

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
I recently purchased a new Sabrent Rocket Q 1tb version. I installed it in the PCIE slot on my motherboard, and it showed up fine in my Disk Management screen. I initialized it on Windows, gave it a letter, then watched a tutorial on how to make it my boot drive.

-The tutorial I watched told me to use Macrium Reflect to copy over the files from my Disk 1 (HDD), to Disk 2 (SSD), which I did, as shown here: View: https://imgur.com/a/nXAzztc

-That didn't work, so I consulted Reddit. A user told me to reclone my Hard Drive to my SSD, so I did. What you see in the link above is what is currently the case for all my drives. I then
I made G: (Which I'm assuming is to be the boot drive because on my hard drive that's the partition that boots) active. I also just made F active, though you can't see it in the linked screenshot.
-I also tried using a Macrium Reflect rescue boot, and then used the "Fix boot" option when I used the flash drive with the rescue boot to boot in (very confusing sentence sorry). I told the rescue boot that I wanted my SSD to be my boot device, and that fixed nothing.
-I've gone in my BIOS and made the SSD my primary boot device, and it does nothing.

I'm very sorry if a lot of this doesn't make any sense, feel free to ask for any screenshots necessary to help in solving this issue. I don't know what to do.

Solution
This will be my third time cloning. Am I supposed to just give up on having an SSD after this doesn't work? No idea why my system just can't handle it.
No, don't give up on having the SSD.
But maybe give up on the clone process.

Maybe time to just start fresh with a clean install. Yes, I know that is not the optimal solution. But...

reaganbush84

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
If these are Steam/Origin, no problem. We can go into those details if you wish.
Other applications won't work with a fresh install. They will need a new install as well. Along with the drivers for your hardware, etc.

I would love to get into those details on how to do that! Other applications I'm fine with having to reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
I would love to get into those details on how to do that! Other applications I'm fine with having to reinstall.
For Steam games, you can tell the NEW Steam client where those games live on a different drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
-------------------------------------------------
I believe Origin has a similar function, but I don't have those specific steps.

reaganbush84

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
For Steam games, you can tell the NEW Steam client where those games live on a different drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
-------------------------------------------------
I believe Origin has a similar function, but I don't have those specific steps.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Looks like I will be doing a fresh install soon.