[SOLVED] Need help changing network channel

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I am currently in a hotel, and have been for a few months, The 5 GHz connection here never works well, It usually has packet loss literally every 10 seconds,
Except when I'm on any other network channel. The network channel with packet loss here is 157, When I start my computer sometimes I connect to 149 which
Has 0 packet loss but over the period of maybe 5 minutes it goes back to 156.

I have a Netgear a6100 wifi adapter and the latest drivers installed, on the netgear genie thing I can "Connect" to the 149 channel and the other channels displayed,
although it never actually connects me to those channels. I am wondering if there is any way I can connect to the other Network channels Without having access to
The router and stuff considering I am in a hotel? If so that would be great and eliminate the packet loss I am only running into on one of the network channels.

Solution
I am currently in a hotel, and have been for a few months, The 5 GHz connection here never works well, It usually has packet loss literally every 10 seconds,
Except when I'm on any other network channel. The network channel with packet loss here is 157, When I start my computer sometimes I connect to 149 which

I have a Netgear a6100 wifi adapter and the latest drivers installed, on the netgear genie thing I can "Connect" to the 149 channel and the other channels displayed,
although it never actually connects me to those channels. I am wondering if there is any way I can connect to the other Network channels Without having access to
The router and stuff...

kanewolf

Titan

The router and stuff considering I am in a hotel? If so that would be great and eliminate the packet loss I am only running into on one of the network channels.
Your device is looking at the many redundant access points that the hotel has installed to provide coverage to all the rooms. The channel is assigned to a specifc AP. That AP is having problems (based on your observables). The signal from the problematic AP may be greater than the 149 AP.
That USB adapter is a bad choice where WIFI is your primary network. It is a mini/nano adapter and has no large antennas to help with connectivity. I would recommend replacing it with something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7
Large dual antennas and a mount that lets you move it around for optimum signal.

Solution

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Your device is looking at the many redundant access points that the hotel has installed to provide coverage to all the rooms. The channel is assigned to a specifc AP. That AP is having problems (based on your observables). The signal from the problematic AP may be greater than the 149 AP.
That USB adapter is a bad choice where WIFI is your primary network. It is a mini/nano adapter and has no large antennas to help with connectivity. I would recommend replacing it with something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7
Large dual antennas and a mount that lets you move it around for optimum signal.
Yeah that makes sense, The only issue is when you sign into the hotel WiFi it asks you what room number. Would it just stick me right back on to the bad access point even with a better adapter?
I hate that this is happening, every time I call about it they just check speeds and tell me they cant do anything about the packet loss, lol?

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah that makes sense, The only issue is when you sign into the hotel WiFi it asks you what room number. Would it just stick me right back on to the bad access point even with a better adapter?
I hate that this is happening, every time I call about it they just check speeds and tell me they cant do anything about the packet loss, lol?
No, room number just authorizes you for ALL the APs. Which is chosen is based on the signal that your USB adapter sees. Are you using that adapter on an old laptop that doesn't have dual band WIFI ?

TRENDING THREADS