Question Need help choosing 4k HDR monitor (limited to bestbuy.ca)

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hello everyone! As stated in the title I need help choosing the best possible 4k monitor and im limited to Bestbuy.ca (because my sister is going to finance a monitor for me using her account). My budget being aprox $700-$800, and up to 1000ish if the monitor recommended is desirable enough upgrade from the one I found below.
Now. My needs are as follows as I'm specifically looking for 4k gaming monitor with good HDR (and will not settle for 2k, even though there are some amazing monitors I found at 2k I just can't settle for it)

•4k Resolution
• HDR Support (and this is the most important factor for me, next to 4k)
•G-sync (This one I can live without I believe as v-sync replace this)
•A nice display with nice image quality! (preferably IPS or VA, in fact I think I prefer VA, I don't care about ips viewing angle and va is better for night time gaming)
• 144hz (which is probably asking too much)
• Eye care settings

So to try and make this simple I'd like to include the monitor that im looking at now to give you an idea of what I've found so far, and perhaps someone can just try and top it.
I'm looking at the 32" BenQ ew3270u, here is the bestbuy link. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/benq-32-4k-uhd-lcd-hdr10-freesync-gaming-monitor-ew3270u-metallic-grey/12568514
Also here is the tom's hardware review of it. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benq-ew3270u-ultra-hd-hdr-monitor,5587.html
Its generally gotten great reviews but if someone can find me a similar kind of monitor but with even better HDR (because this monitor I think is the bare minimum HDR with a brightness of only 300 cd/m², and ive heard 1000 cd/m² would be the absolute best HDR)

I am also looking at this similar monitor and wonder if it is also a better decision or not, its the 32" MSI Optix Mag321Curv. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/msi-optix-mag321curv-31-5-4k-uhd-curved-screen-lcd-monitor-16-9-vertical-alignment-va-3840/13792340
(please note for those looking around best buy site to help me find a better monitor to not trust the specs posted on the site, its often inaccurate, in fact many 4k monitors are being advertised as so but upon further investigation are only 2k, and don't get me started on the other specs they post like HDR10 on some monitors when they only have a brightness of 300 cd/m²)
The only thing that makes me think this msi monitor is not as good as the Benq is that I have seen in reviews stuff about "slightly washed out color" and that is a HUGE turn off for me :)

So sorry for the long post but I just wanted to be thorough for everyone as I take this purchase extremely seriously and I'm very excited to try and future proof my monitor.
Another couple things, my setup right now is a GTX 970 with decent build everywhere else, lots of ram, good cpu etc. So I can basically harness almost all the capabilities the Benq monitor has (almost, not sure about the 10bit colors on a GTX card lower than 10 series but that's fine for now of course)

And lastly here is the link to the bestbuy page with all the 4k monitors.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=4k+monitor
Just note its bestbuy.ca only I believe, not sure I can buy stuff off bestbuy.com since I'm using my sisters account and we are in Canada. If someone can let me know if I can also finance from bestbuy.com using her account/best buy credit card just let me know, I'm just assuming we can't. It's better to buy within our country anyway to avoid customs charges and long shipping times.

Ty in advance for anyone who can help me or offer any advice at all, maybe not even a monitor recommendation but just advice in general about what I should be getting. I guess the one thing im really interested in is the best HDR option, willing to even downgrade the monitor size to as low as 27/28 for HDR10. The reason im on this forum is because I just can't trust the bestbuy.ca page to give me accurate information so its better if I get help from someone who knows whats best and what has what im looking for :) Again, ty!

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Only 1 monitor fits your requirements, but it's well out of your budget. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...turer-refurbished-w-90-day-asus-warr/13566749

And FYI: that GTX970 isn't getting close to playable framerates @ 4k.
This is the monitor I really wanted actually haha but yeah definitely way over my price point, and yeah I know the gtx 970 is pushing it for 4k gaming but will work fin for older games which I play a lot of, and for general use. At least until i upgrade all that. I do believe the BenQ I found is best option for me but it having only a sort of bare minimum quality HDR kinda stings.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
This is the monitor I really wanted actually haha but yeah definitely way over my price point, and yeah I know the gtx 970 is pushing it for 4k gaming but will work fin for older games which I play a lot of, and for general use. At least until i upgrade all that. I do believe the BenQ I found is best option for me but it having only a sort of bare minimum quality HDR kinda stings.
I do feel like I've nailed it with the BenQ EW3270u. Amazing monitor, maybe not the most HQ hdr but hdr none the less. at least at my budget im getting a heck of a deal. I've seen it in at least 3 separate best 2019 HDR monitor guides so im sure it will still be impressive!