Need help choosing a budget gaming build

Coolgoo3

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Over the past couple months, I've been trying to game on a cheap $300 laptop i got for christmas a few years ago. I have been getting terrible fps on the lowest graphics settings so I decided I'm going to try and build a cheap gaming PC. I generally only play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2.

I just threw a build together and thought it looked decent. I don't really want to spend more than $500 but i went over that with my build.

So my question is: Is there any tweaks you could help me make to my build to lower the price while keeping the same or better performance?

Approximate Purchase Date: Probablly around September of this year

Budget Range: 400-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, School work, browsing the web, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesnt matter whatever is cheapest

Parts Preferences: ATI/AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1366 x 768

Additional Comments: To play world of warcraft and guild wars 2 and possibly some Shooters

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Cant run World of Warcraft well

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TXUN

wl589

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Your CPU will bottleneck your system like crazy. Just check out this link Instead, consider this build:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-gaming-overclock-build-a-pc,3443.html

The only thing I would change would be the power supply and motherboard.

Powersupply
Motherboard

If you want a better case that is up to you, but you will always be able to add new memory or swap out the hard drive easily. It is not easy to change the CPU because you will have to change the motherboard, and before you know it, you'll be spending $300.

wl589

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
You should also consider a better monitor because your monitor had a low resolution. Save a little more money so you can buy this or this (links on words). The first one is 1600x900 and the second is 1920x1080.

If it was me I use and intel i3 CPU. Microcenter 99.00 and a h77 mb. I would remove the Ssd and drop in a stock 500g hard drive. Spend extra 20.00 on r200 case. Lot better case for the money. I would drop down to a corsair 650w unit. New egg has them on sale. Look at new egg daily deals today is 20 inch dell with free shipping for 99.00.

Coolgoo3

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

Ok so i've decided to follow the build on the link you provided except i want to swap out the Intel Core i5-3350P with Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz. Is t his cpu better/worse? My main reason for switching them is that i5-2500k has integrated graphics which will reduce the initial cost of building the PC since I'm really short on cash ill be able to use the integrated graphics untill i have the cash to purchase a discrete graphics card.

This is what its looking like so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/U7Ld

First up. September is a log way away in computer pricing terms. second, you'll get a better gpu wih a less expensive, but still powerful cpu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $596.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-30 20:11 EDT-0400)

wl589

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Do not buy the 2500k, it is the older model of Intel's i5 series. Instead, get the newer model, the 3570k. It cost less and performs better and will have better integrated graphics. You seem to not have seen the links I had in my last post about the different parts I would change to the link I provided. It will cost you about $30 more, but you will have more reliable, safer, and faster parts. I have made a config with these new parts for you at http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wl589/saved/1xCH. I also wonder why you do not have an operating system. Do you plan on using linux? Or do you already have a windows 7 or 8 disc?

Also, ScrewySqrl's build looks nice if you really want to have a graphics card. I would not plan on getting a 3570k unless you are planning on upgrading your graphics in less than a year. If so, I would seriously consider his build. This is because the 3570k is a definitely mid-range part, and all of your other parts would be in the low range. Regardless, you would still have one the best processors on the market today. If you plan on getting some discrete graphics then I would consider the Nvidia GTX 660. Yes, it's not really discrete but its performance for $200 is phenomenal. You wouldn’t have to worry about this for about a year though.

Coolgoo3

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry for not replying for so long. I think im set on the 3570k because ill be getting better graphics in december. How do you feel about buying used parts? I was thinking about just looking around on ebay and bidding on the parts over the next few months when they are cheap.

TRENDING THREADS