Question Need help choosing a budget laptop for school/free time

May 29, 2020
Hey guys,

I started my apprenticeship last week and as it turns out i need a laptop for the school. I decided to not go super budget with a used ebay one because I always thought that a laptop would be a nice to have. However I do not know much about laptops and could need some help:

1. What is your budget?
I want to stay below 500€ with my limit being at 550

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Either 14" or 16" I'm not entirely sure yet. If I (you) find one that fits me in either size I'll take it

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A portable one. I do not need a convertible or a touchscreen as both, while being nice, would push the price.

5. How much battery life do you need?
It needs to get trough a full school day that means 6h screen on time on high brightness

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not really I would maybe play some light indie games like Isaac but in general I don't plan to use it for gaming at all

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Non of that just office and multimedia. However this should be fluent because I can't stand it when devices take years to switch between apps/open programs

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256 at least;512 would be nice but probably to expansive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any site that is available in Germany (I would not order form for example newegg because it is exclusive to US)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I need it for at least 3 years because that how long the apprenticeship goes. But any longer after that does not hurt

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
non

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to everything that is known.

13. What country do you live in?
Germany

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have been looking for a few days and found a few laptops that seem good however as I said I don't know much about laptops in general and would like to know what you think of these. Also if you can recommend other please tell me why they are better than the ones listed. Understanding why something is better/worse gives me a way better feeling than just reading "take XY."

So here are my findings with the reason why I like them:
Lenovo Ideapad 5 4500U
Strong CPU with large 70wh battery, a bit under 500€.

Honor Magicbook 14 3500U
While not so powerful it seems to be made really well - full aluminium.

Huawei Matebook D14
Basically the same as the Honor as far as I know

Reactions: Benjamin22044

groovybow

BANNED
Aug 22, 2020
Lenovo Chromebook Duet
CPU: MediaTek Helio P60T | GPU: ARM G72 MP3 | RAM: 4GB | Storage: 64GB eMMC | Display: 10.1-inch, 1920 x 1200 | Size: 9.6 x 6.7 x 0.7 inches | Weight: 2 pounds

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
I think the most portable option you can get is Chromebook Duet from Lenovo as it is just over 7mm in thickness and about 2 pounds in weight with the side stand. This one is used by one of my friends and for light tasks/ school-goers, this is one of the best option. Powered by Mediatek Helio P60T processor, you can even play a game or two in it. Besides, I also love its display. As for the battery, it can last about 10 hour in a single charge and it costs just $279. So this is the cheapest best option that I can suggest.

Sep 19, 2020
Hello,

I would also suggest that you go for Lenovo ChromeBook Duet. At just $280, you would not be able to get a better deal, especially in the convertible category. The super portable chassis, strong battery life, and the fact that you get both a kickstand and a keyboard with it makes it a hard to resist deal. I would recommend this laptop/tablet for your needs.

Hope you choose the right device for your requirements!