Need Help Choosing a HDD for gaming rig :)

gainedchrist

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I need help choosing a hdd for my gaming rig. I have all the components EXCEPT the hdd.

My mobo is a gigabyte K8NS-939 with nForce3 Ultra Chipset.

I'm considering either:

250GB Maxtor OR 250GB Seagate OR 250GB Western Digital. I'm looking for something that's compatible to UDMA 33/ATA 66/ATA 100 with IDE connections.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Choice of hard drive won't effect your FPS and has less impact on loading times that you would expect. (Much of the level data is compresssed and you are mostly waiting for the decompression rather than the transfer to complete).

I like drives with 5 year waranty's. Which means a 74-150 WD Raptor, WD Raid Edition, or most any Seagate.

Personally I use a 74 GB Raptor and two mirrored 400GB WD RE2's. But these hard drives were last on my upgrade priority list.

My guess is you will be happy going with a 250 GB Seagate.

Maybe one day you will want to switch to a Raptor, or even two drives in a RAID 0 Config, but changes are you would be better off spend the money on a next Graphics Card instead.

pat

Expert
I need help choosing a hdd for my gaming rig. I have all the components EXCEPT the hdd.

My mobo is a gigabyte K8NS-939 with nForce3 Ultra Chipset.

I'm considering either:

250GB Maxtor OR 250GB Seagate OR 250GB Western Digital. I'm looking for something that's compatible to UDMA 33/ATA 66/ATA 100 with IDE connections.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Why not SATA? Samsung 250gb are very good drive.

Your gigabyte motherboard probably has RAID enabled for the SATA connectors. Disable RAID for those and you will only have to plug in the drive to use it. Maybe you'll have to set the jumper for SATA150 instead of SATAII, but the won't cut any performance.