Need help choosing a laptop with i7 4720hq or 5500u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandeepsingh10

Reputable
May 29, 2015
i want to buy a new laptop mostly ill be using it for programming web designing nd gaming and im a college student so battery life is an issue
My choices are HP Envy 15 ae009tx and asus gl552jx or g551jx
I've searched a lot but and found out that i7 5500u is not a good cpu for gaming nd multitasking but alienwAre 13 also uses 5500u

So pls suggest me which laptop to buy
Hp envy has 4gb 950m ddr3 and both rogs have 950m ddr3 2 gb

Solution
The i7-4720HQ has higher clockspeeds and 4 core vs. the dual core i5-5200u which has lower clockspeeds. Therefore, the i7 can provide better gaming performance in CPU intensive games especially if the game can use more than 2 cores. The tradeoff is battery life. Because quad core CPUs use more power they generally only last 3 - 4 hours on battery. Laptops with "U" model CPUs like the i5-5200u typically have battery life of about 6 or 6.5 hours; there are even laptops that can last 10 hours or more, but they do not have dedicated graphics.

I suppose DDR3 RAM for the GTX 950m is okay. There is a performance penalty when using DDR3 vs DDR5, the more powerful the GPU, the worse the performance penalty will be. The GTX 950m the lowest of...
The i7-4720HQ has higher clockspeeds and 4 core vs. the dual core i5-5200u which has lower clockspeeds. Therefore, the i7 can provide better gaming performance in CPU intensive games especially if the game can use more than 2 cores. The tradeoff is battery life. Because quad core CPUs use more power they generally only last 3 - 4 hours on battery. Laptops with "U" model CPUs like the i5-5200u typically have battery life of about 6 or 6.5 hours; there are even laptops that can last 10 hours or more, but they do not have dedicated graphics.

I suppose DDR3 RAM for the GTX 950m is okay. There is a performance penalty when using DDR3 vs DDR5, the more powerful the GPU, the worse the performance penalty will be. The GTX 950m the lowest of what most people would consider to be a gaming card so the penalty is probably not too bad; maybe 15% - 20% compared to using DDR5.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.