Need Help Choosing a Laptop

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
1. What is your budget?
Around $500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6”

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366 x 768 or more

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
8 – 10 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not really only Minecraft once in awhile on at least medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
College classes in computer programming; music composition; streaming videos

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB or more

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-laptop-15z-5mu54av-1
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-7fq32av-1
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Many years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I usually prefer HP & Dell because of quality and reliability. Maybe Lenovo but have never had one.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am buying a new laptop for my son for college next year. He is going into computer programming and will be doing music composition. He also streams videos such as YouTube often. Graphics and sound I think are important to him but so is processor speed as to not lag and also long battery life. I am currently debating between the 2 HP laptops linked above. From my research, the one with the AMD Ryzen 5 processor is a slower processor with 6MB cache but has better graphics and also 16GB memory compared to the other laptop with an Intel i7 processor which is faster & has 8MB cache but doesn’t have as good of onboard graphics and less RAM (12GB).

If the leaked Black Friday ad is correct, the laptop with the Intel i7 is $50 more than the AMD Ryzen 5, so price is not the issue. I can handle the extra $50. Any recommendations? Can someone help me figure out which one to get? I want to order online on BF versus standing in line at a store. I am not necessarily set on HP, but I do know that they are one of the best rated laptops and I can’t seem to find Black Friday prices comparable to HP from others like Dell or Lenovo. Also are there any upgrades that anyone recommends that I should definitely consider?

I have organized some of the pros and cons of each.

I5z Ryzen 5
Pros -
Better integrated graphics
4gb more ram
lower price
Cons -
Weaker CPU
256gb SSD

15t Intel i7
Pros
Faster CPU
512gb SSD
Cons
4gb less ram
higher price

Despite the 15z having 12gb ram and a weaker IGPU, the 15t with its far superior I7 processor will likely pull ahead for programming. Also, the 512gb SSD in the 15t will be a good "nice to have" compared to the 256gb in the other laptop. Because of this, I would go for the 15t.

Unfortunately, the 1366x768 resolution of the screen on both laptops is not ideal, however, this is not a big deal on a 15in laptop.

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Would it be recommended to upgrade the display? For an extra $50 you can get the 15.6" diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080 ). Or would it be better to upgrade the graphics GPU? For an extra $55 you get this: Intel® Core™ i7-10510U (1.8 GHz, up to 4.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)+NVIDIA® GeForce® MX130 (2 GB) . Same CPU, better GPU.