[SOLVED] Need help choosing a new PSU

Jul 28, 2021
I'm building a pc and I need a power supply. After doing some research my options are: Corsair CX650, CX750F and Seasonic GM-650.
Which one is better? And what are differences between the Corsairs power supplies besides RGB and being modular or not?

Solution
What is your graphics card?
is 650w sufficient?
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
You will usually find that the next stronger psu costs only a minimal amount more.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Full modular power supplies will usually cost more.
Some are partially modular with necessary connectors like the 24 pin connector fully attached and optional cables not attached.
A non modular psu is ok with me.
There is usually room in...

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I'm building a pc and I need a power supply. After doing some research my options are: Corsair CX650, CX750F and Seasonic GM-650.
Which one is better? And what are differences between the Corsairs power supplies besides RGB and being modular or not?
Somehow I can't find the PSU Tier list, but to answer some of you other questions: I would definitely go for an modular PSU if possible. This will definitely help a lot with sorting out unnecessary cables and increase airflow of your PC.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Seasonic GM what ? There's Seasonic Core GM and Seasonic Focus GM. The former is supposedly a costdown of the latter but there's almost no reviews on it to paint a picture, avoid. Corsair CX and CX-F are completely different, CX-F is better, not only because it's fully modular. So out of these three (assuming we're talking about Core GM) i'd go for CX-F.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreudianSlip
Jul 28, 2021
Seasonic GM what ? There's Seasonic Core GM and Seasonic Focus GM. The former is supposedly a costdown of the latter but there's almost no reviews on it to paint a picture, avoid. Corsair CX and CX-F are completely different, CX-F is better, not only because it's fully modular. So out of these three i'd go for CX-F.
Thanks! You made it really easy for me

What is your graphics card?
is 650w sufficient?
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
You will usually find that the next stronger psu costs only a minimal amount more.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Full modular power supplies will usually cost more.
Some are partially modular with necessary connectors like the 24 pin connector fully attached and optional cables not attached.
A non modular psu is ok with me.
There is usually room in your case to tuck unused cables out of sight.

Next, buy only a quality power supply.
It is a long term investment which will be good for several future upgrades.
Knowing nothing else, look for one with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is just one of many psu quality tier lists:

Of your choices, I would pick the Seasonic GM-650:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202
Note that the 750w unit is only $10 more.

Solution