[SOLVED] Need help choosing a psu

May 6, 2019
Hello,
My psu is busted and I have no clue how to choose a psu, I'm not loaded or anything, my pc was a gift so I don't have the knowledge to make the right choice here, I guess.
I tried the site on the fixed post, and it game told me as a suggestion the evga 600w bronze. (https://outervision.com/b/4I2O7X)

What psu would you guys recommend?
Here are my pc specs:
CPU:Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard:Asus maximus VII hero z97
Power Supply:
Hard Disk:Samsung SSD 850 EVO (120GB)
WD 1TB Sata III
Memory: Corsair vengeance pro DDR3-1866 2 x 8GB
Case: fractal design define r4 Windowed Edition
Monitor:Asus VG248qe
Video Cards: gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Cooler: Corsair hydro series extreme performance liquid h100i

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place and thanks for any help you guys can give.

Solution
The rmx series from corsair is pretty high quality, but if it was used i don't recommend buying a used power supply.
But if it was brand new and hes selling it its a pretty good deal if it was cheap.

Plus even if you used a power calculator and it said you need 400 and you have 450 it is not enough, you need to have headroom for upgrades or what so ever, sometimes you might need extra power which can lead to your PC instantly shut down because of not getting enough power.

650W evga g2 supernova is also amazing.

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
Hello,
My psu is busted and I have no clue how to choose a psu, I'm not loaded or anything, my pc was a gift so I don't have the knowledge to make the right choice here, I guess.
I tried the site on the fixed post, and it game told me as a suggestion the evga 600w bronze. (https://outervision.com/b/4I2O7X)

Here are my pc specs:
Power Supply:
WD 1TB Sata III

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place and thanks for any help you guys can give.
hi amazed no one has replied to this!! i think that a 550 w would be perfect, but it really depends on your budget!! personally the CORSAIR TX550M PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED is my favorite psu for a build, but look for cheaper ones, or an alternative is the normal bronze certified CORSAIR CX550 which is much better priced!

Reactions: Dr Grey

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Hello,

Here are my pc specs:
Power Supply:
WD 1TB Sata III

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $41.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-06 09:51 EDT-0400

Reactions: Dr Grey and AllanGH
May 6, 2019
hi amazed no one has replied to this!! i think that a 550 w would be perfect, but it really depends on your budget!! personally the CORSAIR TX550M PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED is my favorite psu for a build, but look for cheaper ones, or an alternative is the normal bronze certified CORSAIR CX550 which is much better priced!

Is 550 enough? I really don't understand how this works.

Apparently my é load wattage is 400 and my recommended psu is 450, but the site recommends 600 on bronze and 650 on gold.

How does this work?

May 6, 2019
Another question, someone is selling a corsair rm850x white for a really good price(read here evga b1 price) is it worth it to pick it up? Is there any problem picking a psu with so much extra W?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
The rmx series from corsair is pretty high quality, but if it was used i don't recommend buying a used power supply.
But if it was brand new and hes selling it its a pretty good deal if it was cheap.

Plus even if you used a power calculator and it said you need 400 and you have 450 it is not enough, you need to have headroom for upgrades or what so ever, sometimes you might need extra power which can lead to your PC instantly shut down because of not getting enough power.

650W evga g2 supernova is also amazing.

Solution
May 6, 2019
I'm gonna lay it out here, the problem is that I live in brazil, and here everything is stupid expensive and you still have a hard time finding specific PSUs.

The one I found so far are:
Corsair tx750m (used) - 300
Corsair tx850m - 600
Corsair tx750m - 580
Rm850x white (only 7 months of use according to the seller) - 450

There are far more honest people selling things secondhand that dishonest.
Go with what your budget can afford.
Nothing wrong with buying secondhand at all, I guarantee most people who read this forum own a secondhand car - and the only problems they experience are not because it's secondhand its because of the way its designed.
Speaking of the RM850, the power is a bit overkill, because at best you would be using 50% of its power now and then. Great PSU though, and I don't think you would regret it.
Read this - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-rm850x-white-psu,review-34114-12.html

May 6, 2019
There are far more honest people selling things secondhand that dishonest.
Go with what your budget can afford.
Nothing wrong with buying secondhand at all, I guarantee most people who read this forum own a secondhand car - and the only problems they experience are not because it's secondhand its because of the way its designed.
Speaking of the RM850, the power is a bit overkill, because at best you would be using 50% of its power now and then. Great PSU though, and I don't think you would regret it.
Read this - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-rm850x-white-psu,review-34114-12.html
Is there a problem having this much extra watts? Like would it be a problem or people avoid buying it just because it normally costs a lot more?

BringerOfTea

Reputable
Is there a problem having this much extra watts? Like would it be a problem or people avoid buying it just because it normally costs a lot more?

Ive got a RM850 and I do not believe Ive come near maxing it. No problem in getting one with higher capacity than you need. If you trust the seller of the used one, go for it.

Electron made a good argument about used cars ;)

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
just so you know a power supply will only give as much as the system asks for people recommend getting slightly more because one you want room for upgrades etc and two power supply are more efficient if you are using about 50 to 80 % load generally the power supply web site will show a chart for it varies by make and model :)

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
If it recommends
Is 550 enough? I really don't understand how this works.

Apparently my é load wattage is 400 and my recommended psu is 450, but the site recommends 600 on bronze and 650 on gold.

How does this work?
650w!! Get an TX650 from Corsair! Don’t waste your money on a really expensive PSU!! Get an bronze certified one!! Gold are only for extreme builds...

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
There is no reason for a non super budget build to go with a PSU that isn't 80+ Gold or better today. I highly recommend the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold or Seasonic Focus Gold both are available in 650W.
Unless you find a good deal from personal experience of using a bronze rated one, it’s perfect! I agree gold is better if you can afford, but a bronze is still fine!!