Need help choosing a *reliable* motherboard

Apr 5, 2018
So I built my first computer back in Dec 2016.

Long story short, just recently my motherboard failed and I didn't want to go through the whole RMA process. Although I still could, I really don't want the same motherboard again. And in the back of my mind, while I'm at it, I might as well upgrade a few other things. :pt1cable:

So anyway, I've spent COUNTLESS hours scouring internet reviews looking for a reliable option for a replacement that fits my build. I can't for the life of me find one that doesn't have a good chunk (10-20%) of reviews saying "DOA" or, "Worked great up until now" , ETC. Why??? Are motherboards just prone to failure? I don't even care about features at this point, I just want a mobo that I don't have to replace in the near future.

SO I guess if anyone has any motherboard suggestions, or a go-to motherboard they like using, I'm all ears. I'll link my build at the bottom so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZG6wkT

Solution
As with any reviews, the most vocal party is going to be the one that had some sort of failure or problem.

ROG boards are nice, but extremely pricey. I've had a few, and oddly the only one I have a problem with is my old Rampage III Formula, memory can no longer be populated above dual channel.

In the last decade or so I've pretty much stuck with ASUS and Gigabyte as vendors. All my motherboards technically still work.

Failures are just random chance mostly, or local overheating, power spikes/sags. Etc. Component manufacturers do sampling for quality control, they don't check every single component. Motherboard manufacturers test each board, but passing doesn't mean there isn't a less than perfect component somewhere.

If you are...
My go to board is an Asus ROG board, I've had a hand full of them over the years and none have given me issues..... other then self induced.

x58 rampage 3 extreme -> first one was over volted trying for 4.9ghz on my 950
replacement R3E -> motherboard water block screw to long and started leaking water onto the board over time, fried board and 980x
replacement #2 -> new 980x and still kicking as my work computer @ 4.0Ghz

Z77 maximus gene v water pump failed and killed board and cpu
Replacement gene v-> has a 2500k and was handed down to my mother and she still has it kicking around, 2500k OC'd to 5.4Ghz on the board
Z77 maximus gene v has a 2600k and sits at a friends house for lan parties, sits at 5.2Ghz and game on it about every other weekend

Z97 maximus vii hero has a 4670k given to my older brother to replace his old x58 build. OC'd on it when i first got it but ran it stock for the most part

Z370 maximus x hero has a 8700k and have hit 5.1Ghz on the cpu, runs stock since its overkill for my gtx 980 right now.

Other then me killing the board, I havent had any issues with any of the boards i have had. The Z97 had a weird install list where you had to install certain things first that you normally wouldnt do first but was well documented in the Asus forum pages.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As with any reviews, the most vocal party is going to be the one that had some sort of failure or problem.

ROG boards are nice, but extremely pricey. I've had a few, and oddly the only one I have a problem with is my old Rampage III Formula, memory can no longer be populated above dual channel.

In the last decade or so I've pretty much stuck with ASUS and Gigabyte as vendors. All my motherboards technically still work.

Failures are just random chance mostly, or local overheating, power spikes/sags. Etc. Component manufacturers do sampling for quality control, they don't check every single component. Motherboard manufacturers test each board, but passing doesn't mean there isn't a less than perfect component somewhere.

If you are worried about motherboard failure I suggest more investment in a high quality power supply. Make sure you have a surge suppressing power strip, at least, or a full UPS or power conditioner. The more stable you make the incoming power the less work the motherboard's components have to do.

Solution
Apr 5, 2018

Funny I was just looking at some of the ROG boards earlier. Thanks for the feedback, I'll continue to scope things out!

Wow, that was spot on. Appreciate the helpful reply. Great suggestions as well, a better (and fully modular) PSU was one of the things I was indeed planning on upgrading. I'm still quite new to all this, I didn't even think of having some type of surge suppressor (woops).

It seems like ASUS may be the way to go from here

Apr 5, 2018

One of the things I was thinking of replacing/upgrading was my Hyper 212 EVO fan with a Liquid CPU cooler. Say the Corsair H100i v2. I didn't think it was over heating as it was, but I liked the idea of getting that liquid cooler along with a modular PSU I think it would really clean up the clutter inside my case and allow for more breathing room. Would that be a good idea?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
H100i isn't a bad choice, but the stock fans can be quite loud. Though the Evo 212 is equally guilty of this. Good cooler for the price though.

Usual cons with liquid cooling are the failure modes. It can leak and damage other components. When the pump fails you basically have no cooling. Whereas an air cooler only has the fan that can fail, you still have the passive cooling from the large heatsink.

Price wise, liquid coolers are expensive, even compared to the high end air coolers (Noctua D15 / Cryorig H5). These compete quite well with the 240mm aluminum radiator coolers. The nice copper/brass ones do quite a bit better.

You do gain the space around the CPU as you mention. This can make maintenance a bit easier.

Yep, surge suppressors are your friend. : https://www.amazon.com/APC-Protection-SurgeArrest-Performance-P11VT3/dp/B0012YLTR6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524682690&sr=8-2&keywords=apc+surge+suppressor

You can get cheaper ones, but I like those kind so that power bricks don't get in the way as much. You can also hook up your modem through there.

Probably don't need a UPS or power conditioner unless you have constant electrical outages.