Need Help choosing a Video Card and other upgrades.

Byronf67

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Okay guys/girls. I was hoping for some feedback and opinions.

A year ago my fiance' purchased a desktop from Ibuypower for me for Christmas and I have waited long enough now to upgrade my video card.

I want to be able to play the newest and most demanding games on max to near max setting on a single 23" monitor with max res around 1920 x 1080.

My desktop major components details as of now;
Windows 8 64-Bit
AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight Core Processor ~4.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard.
16.0 GB of memory.

My main concern is finding the right video card without going nuts and just buying the most expensive one. 2nd does any of my other components appear to also need upgrading?

I would really appreciate any help or opinions. Let me know if you need more information than provided to give feedback.

Best Regards,
Byron

Solution
Bro you dont need to max out any game ( some settings like SSAA ( in Metro LL ) kill the performance while they give nothing but a little bit smoother edges , the main quality & key parameters in good look are in Textures , Shading , AO & ... ) . i assure you bro . you always can enjoy a demanding game without maxing all of its parameters .

if i were you i would go for INTEL CPU . new i5 4xxx series & even older IVies are GR8888 for gaming ( im using one ) . they are much better than AMD . LESS heat MUCH less bottleneck with high end cards .

if your not into overclocking . you can buy a i5 3470 or new 4xxx ( non K series ) with good H77 or newer board ( difference is not noticeable in gaming at all ) . BUT your CPU is fine ( its...
Ibuypower makes money by skimping on some parts, especially PSUs. Unless your fiance' got an upgraded one, the machine likely has a PSU-shaped object in it that won't be good enough to power an upgraded video card. Check that out, and also let us know what card you have now, and what your total budget is.

enemy1g

Honorable
Second both users above.

It is recommended to upgrade the PSU as most retailers, e-tailers, and the like, will almost always skimp on the PSU unless you're paying 5k+ for your PC.

That being said, not looking to break the bank, you can't go wrong with a 7970 GHz, r9 280x, or a GTX 770. The three aforementioned cards will likely play at a mixture of ultra and high while maintaining 60+ fps.

And as of now, the other components you listed do not need to be upgraded as they are the best AMD gaming combination that you can buy right now, and switching to Intel will only yield similar performance results.

omid76

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

This is a very good setup the 8350 is a great CPU, don't ruin it by a cheap or slow GPU, if you put a R9-290($400) on it you can run any game on ultra setting for the next couple of years and don't need to update.
you can also get a R9-280($300) still a great card

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Bro you dont need to max out any game ( some settings like SSAA ( in Metro LL ) kill the performance while they give nothing but a little bit smoother edges , the main quality & key parameters in good look are in Textures , Shading , AO & ... ) . i assure you bro . you always can enjoy a demanding game without maxing all of its parameters .

if i were you i would go for INTEL CPU . new i5 4xxx series & even older IVies are GR8888 for gaming ( im using one ) . they are much better than AMD . LESS heat MUCH less bottleneck with high end cards .

if your not into overclocking . you can buy a i5 3470 or new 4xxx ( non K series ) with good H77 or newer board ( difference is not noticeable in gaming at all ) . BUT your CPU is fine ( its just my recommendation if your a hardcore gamer :D .

now for VGA : go with SINGLE strong vga card & try not to SLI or Crossfire . go for GTX 770 or higher or AMD 7970 or higher
& those new x200s are gr8 too ;) .

& one more thing . dont upgrade your system for CRYSIS 3 . upgrade it for other 99.99% available demanding games like BF4 , metro LL , blackFLag but not for that ... :D . that short leveled piece of software has lotta BUGS & poor optimization & is more like a bench marking tool than a attractive FPS game .

Solution