Need help choosing between gtx 690 and gtx 780ti

leks983

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Greetings,
a while ago my gpu died, and now that i'm getting refunded i need to choose which one i will get next.
It would be mainly used for gaming, and my configuration atm is:
asus maximus iv extreme-z
i7-2600k(it's oc'd to 3.8)
thermaltake frio (don't want to put in liquid cooling atm, since i don't have experience doing that)
16GB ddr3 corsair vengeance
asus phoebus
seasonic ss-760xp2
thermaltake armor (full tower, with 5 fans)
1 ssd and 2 hdds
1 dvd.
usb kb and mouse

I use 3 monitors, but i only run games on one (144hz), other 2 are for watching movies/work/misc...
I am pretty sure that psu will have no trouble providing enough power for any of the options listed below, but just in case i listed every single item that draws power, so someone with more experience can confirm/deny this :).

The question is, which graphics card to get.
Where i live, i have the choice between
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 690 4GB GDDR5 GV-N690D5-4GD-B (883e)
ASUS GeForce GTX 690 4GB GDDR5 GTX690-4GD5 (1001e)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 GV-N78TOC-3GD (rev. 1.0) (695e) (store i bought my old gpu has this one, so might have to choose this or other that that store has)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 GV-N78TD5-3GD-B (682e)
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 GTX780TI-3GD5 (711e)
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 (722e)

The prices are more for a frame of reference than for anything, i would rather get better card for slightly more money.
Since i'm not sure if i would get 2nd card for sli(if i do, it won't be anytime soon, not till 780ti drops enough in price to justifty the cost, but it would be another 780ti :)) what would be the best option?
Also, as noted above, i might be pidgeonholed into getting the only card that the store has to offer atm, so i would really appreciate the order of the best options in case i can actually choose :).

Of note is, i mainly play games that are more cpu intensive (mmos mainly, wow and planetside2 to name a few), but i would like to run some newer games in at least 60fps, preferably 120(that's not a priority tho).

I apologize for the huge wall of text, and appreciate any input/help you guys/girls can provide :)

Thanks,
Alex.

Edit: apparently, there might be option for ASUS GeForce GTX TITAN BLACK 6GB GDDR5 GTXTITANBLACK-6GD5 (942e) . But tbh that would be my last choice, unless it heavily outperforms all other options.

Solution
I would go for the Asus DC2 780 Ti. With a small overclock it will match performance of the 690 without using SLI or anything, and also more available vram.

Neon4D

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
Hey OP. Sorry for bumping post but i was wondering since it has been a while now and you probably have the new card, Which one did you get and how does it perform as of today. Im having the same decision here as-well :). Again sorry for bumping

leks983

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Hey Neon, sorry for the late reply. just noticed the question.
I went with DC2 780 Ti, i'm very happy with it, i'm getting 60/120 fps in most of the stuff i run, haven't had any issues with it, and didn't even feel the need to OC. I would stick to it, or maybe get 980/980 Ti, depending on the price..

Neon4D

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
Thanks Leks

Yeah in the end i decided to go for a EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SuperClocked. I saw the specifications and comparing it to my Current GPU (Palit GTX 770 OC) It was well better ;) . Hopefully should be getting it soon. Yeah i saw benchmarks for the 780ti and it still beasting it in this generation of games, thats what made me think of getting it. Enjoy your card!