Question need help choosing between two types of ram

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Dominator platinum is tested to higher standards and meant for higher overclocks, it's supposed to be more stable and able to take higher voltages, there's not much of a difference other than that

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
^ That depends on which exact ic's the kit you buy uses. Kits with Samsung B die ic's OC better than other kits. Most C14 kits use Samsung B die ic's.
But you should Google the exact kit model number to be sure before you buy.
also right now im using 16gb 8x2 sticks of corsair dominator platininum ddr4 3200mhz overclocked to 3400mhz easily. the reason I was asking about the vengeance is cause im missing rgb bling. also the vengeance ram im looking at buying are these...….. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb..._re=CMW32GX4M2C3000C15-_-20-236-452-_-Product

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
^ That depends on which exact ic's the kit you buy uses. Kits with Samsung B die ic's OC better than other kits. Most C14 kits use Samsung B die ic's.
But you should Google the exact kit model number to be sure before you buy.
I would add another 2 sticks of dominator platinum, but I heard ryzen does not work well with 4 sticks...… what do you think?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
According to a quick Google search that 16 GB model uses Hynix ic's. And just guessing I belive that 32GB Kit uses Hynix ic's as well. Have you checked the Corsair compatibility list to be sure that kit is listed as compatible with your motherboard.?
And yes sadly you might have trouble getting 4 sticks to run at their rated speeds.
2 stick kits tax the Ryzen memory controller a lot less and therefore OC better/easier.

Last edited:

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
According to a quick Google search that 16 GB model uses Hynix ic's. And just guessing I belive that 32GB Kit uses Hynix ic's as well. Have you checked the Corsair compatibility list to be sure that kit is listed as compatible with your motherboard.?
And yes sadly you might have trouble getting 4 sticks to run at their rated speeds.
2 stick kits tax the Ryzen memory controller a lot less and therefore OC better/easier.
the vengeance ram is not on my motherboard list, but im buying locally from best buy so if they don't work on my board ill just return them.

Reactions: DMAN999
Dominator and vengeance are marketing brand names.
Ram chips are binned.
The better chips are used in ram that has higher rated speeds and can be sold for more.
Sometimes you get lucky and can oc to better than the sold specs, but do not count on it.
If you want faster ram, buy faster ram.
If you want "bling" buy a kit with bling.
Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing, only if you are seeking record ram overclocks are good heat spreaders worth while.

And... there are probably better ways to improve performance than faster ram.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Ram chips are binned.
The better chips are used in ram that has higher rated speeds and can be sold for more.
Sometimes you get lucky and can oc to better than the sold specs, but do not count on it.
Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing, only if you are seeking record ram overclocks are good heat spreaders worth while.

Some kits of RAM are coming with attachable coolers for Over-Clocking. I'm not sure how well it works, but I'm assuming it would work a bit better than just the heat spreader

Sometimes, you need to remove a tall heat spreader to allow for clearance with an air cooler.
Probably better to not have paid more for such fanciness in the first place.
For example low profile Corsair LPX will perform just as well as vengeance or dominator that has the same speed specs.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Ram chips are binned.

is it true that if I add another 2 sticks of dominator platinum, the pc might not function right? ive used 4 sticks on a ryzen system before, and not have any issues. or should I just buy the two 16gb sticks of vengeance?

True.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT guarantee ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
True.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT guarantee ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.
if the ram does not work ill take it back to best buy