Need Help Choosing Budget Graphic/Video Card : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hi,

I am building my first system probably come November/December this year and I'm sure there will be other graphics cards out by then but none that I most likely need. Whatever is out there now will probably suit my needs. However, Ive looked and researched plenty of times but I really don't know what card is for me.

I have one set in mind due to reviews and it winning awards and such which is

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

I understand a bit of info is needed to really help me out so let me try and say...

I am NOT a big gamer, probably very little in fact. I don't game now, I use my ps3 for that so I may play 1-3 games tops on this.

- The monitor I am buying will be 27 inches.
- The processor is AMD and will be a top notch processor whatever is out when I build my system. Probably an FX 8 core or something.
- I do like to watch movies from my PC.

Well, hopefully someone can help, or agree with me that the card I chose is good and provide suggestions if they think there is a better card out there for the price or around the price.

Thanks a lot, appreciate it. : )

Solution
Tom's does a monthly evaluation of gamer cards, something to consider on your purchase date,
IS there an AMD or Nvidea preference?

ATM TOM'S lists the HD6790 as much better than the 550 TI for the same price, and you are very close to the HD6850 price, an excellent card.

To save money an HD 7750 or HD 7770 are more power efficent than the 550 TI, I do believe, and might be better on those grounds.

OTOH the 550 TI has certainly made a great many owners happy, and without the gaming bias I really haven't a clue.

I do not know what you need an FX 8 core for. you would seem to find all you need from the AMD FM2 Trinity, the desktop version of this APU should appear and be suitably reviewed by this fall. This could save the purchase of...

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Tom's does a monthly evaluation of gamer cards, something to consider on your purchase date,
IS there an AMD or Nvidea preference?

ATM TOM'S lists the HD6790 as much better than the 550 TI for the same price, and you are very close to the HD6850 price, an excellent card.

To save money an HD 7750 or HD 7770 are more power efficent than the 550 TI, I do believe, and might be better on those grounds.

OTOH the 550 TI has certainly made a great many owners happy, and without the gaming bias I really haven't a clue.

I do not know what you need an FX 8 core for. you would seem to find all you need from the AMD FM2 Trinity, the desktop version of this APU should appear and be suitably reviewed by this fall. This could save the purchase of a discreet video card. Unless you will run core intensive programs.

Solution

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Thank you very much. I wanted to go with the FM1 socket but it just appeared there wasn't much customization you could do. I do love the fact I get my graphics and processor in one chip and I thought long and hard about trinity vs buying FX but the reason why FX won is because I can use the same motherboard for the next generation of processors. Im sure AMD isn't changing soon, AM3+ looks here to stay in other words in my view. Also, looking at the FM1 motherboards, none really jumped out at me and there weren't really many to choose from.

Also, one more thing is I'd like to wait and hold off on the trinity chips due to I think all their coming in is quad core. I'd love to see a 6 core APU.

Any thoughts? Thank you! : )

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
One more thing, you said/asked you aren't sure what I need an FX-8 core for. Well, for $200 bucks, most likely less when I build my system, it's very hard to beat and in my mind I go "why not?" for the best, know what I mean? Thats just me and my thoughts I guess.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

What the heck? You obviously haven't read anything I wrote. I am not going with Intel and I don't do hardly any gaming anyway. Not on a PC anyway.

Also, thats a very bold statement as theres many happy people out there who use an AMD system for gaming.

I did read it. Now that I read it again, your post implies that you're building the system for watching movies and playing 1-3 games.

If you aren't playing anything, you should not buy a graphics card at all. Also, why buy AMD processor when Intel is superior for the same price? Even AMD themselves admitted it a month ago. And 8-core FX is a terrible buy.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-intel-cpu-apu-processors,news-38634.html

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

I agree. I know Intel is the better chip but it's NOT the same price. AMD is a cheaper system. A good Intel motherboard is going to run me like $300+. The i5 or i7 is another $250+ dollars. AMD did not admit Intel was faster, just they are backing out of the speed wars. That's fine, I still respect AMD.

Also, I want a graphics card because you never know, I just think it's good to have one in your system. I don't need a $300 dollar graphics card, just something so I'm not stuck with onboard graphics. I am NOT building a system for watching movies and playing 1-3 games, lol. I use it for everything. My everyday computer, I just listed those things because it has to do with the graphic card. Me surfing the internet or opening up a program doesn't.

I don't see why the FX 8 core is a "terrible buy" when many are raving how fast it is. Maybe not compared to an i5 or i7, but fast nonetheless. You have to understand where I'm coming from. I'm running a dual core 1.6Ghz AMD right now so I think the FX-8 core would slam it because my processor is SLOOOOOOOOW and lags terribly.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Also, you may say, well, you only need this $75 dollar motherboard and this $150 dollar processor from Intel, ect. I don't want that. I still want a nice processor and a nice motherboard. I believe both those things are the most important things in your system and I'm not trying to be CHEAP, just trying to save money. For what I NEED a system for, I just feel AMD does the trick is what Im trying to say. I'd never buy AMD in a laptop again but for desktop, It seems they are great.

I like having nice things, who doesn't? I want the Sabertooth motherboard from Asus which from reviews, seems to be THE motherboard to have if you are running AMD right now from all the reviews.

So thats just an example.

And you never know, if I have a nice motherboard which I also want because Im trying to future proof myself a bit, then I can always add on later, a nice video card, or this and that and take advantage of the motherboard more.

It just makes sense to me.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Also, forgot to mention, one more reason I am shying away from Intel at the moment is due to their all socket changes. AMD has not changed it's socket. Still AM3 and AM3+, all compatible. Once Haswell comes out in 2013, a lot of articles are saying, a new socket will need to be in place and what happens if I wanted the next new intel processor? I have to buy a whole new motherboard AND a whole new processor? No thanks.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I can understand your choices. More than good enough.
I prefer intel for the cost/performance benefit for my personal usage.

There are things Bulldozer does very well. For the right combo price I could certainly be tempted. Piledriver cores in Trinity are very good.

The short comings of Llano and probably Trinity in desk tops is the APU performance vs a discrete card. Crossfire with the APU graphics are limited choices, a separate
GPU is better past that point (like the GTX 550 TI). And you are using motherboard memory for the APU graphics. Not a problem, just be aware

Ivy Bridge I5 3570K at $250 at present use INTEL HD4000 graphics equivalent to Llano
3870. Just so you know. You can compare benchmarks on the anandtech.com > BENCH
if you are interested.

Personally I find "future proofing" a nebulous concept, but I am to some extent a hardware fan boy.

APU progress, like the transition from FM1 to FM2 are likely to require new sockets.

That said the Sabertooth is a great choice, the 8120 overclocked is close the the 8150,
and your most difficult choice will be choosing the perfect case for you. (it is for me, lol).

Cheers and enjoy

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for the input. I know that I will have to buy a FM2 motherboard and it's basically a dead socket as soon as I buy it because I'm sure they will need to create FM3 for the next generation so Im just looking for something that isn't going to lag. I've seen a ton of good reviews from the Llano chip raving about it and if it's that good, then Trinity is going to blow it away and I'd figure Trinity would be more than enough for what I need, with graphics set to be 50% better and processing power set to be 15%+ better. That's just my view on it, lol. Looking for no lag and yes, the case will be hard, lol. But when it comes to a case, I don't really want to spend over $60 since this is just a build to get me by for 4-5 years, then I'll really go all out once Skymont from Intel releases. Thanks! : )

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Works for me.
Case choices are a nuisance because cases go on sale.
I bought a Redbone (on sale) and like it. But your power supply better have long cables.
But I like Lian Li also. When they are around $60.
Bought a Ranger-M for a build, works, could be better, price was right.

I am slowly deciding cases that do not require "extras" are desirable. Possibly.

Anyway check prices with newegg, amazon and mwave before purchase.

I have not heard/seen Trinity evaluations yet. The mobile chips are about 30-40% better graphics and 30% better processing power.

Luck to us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.