Question Need help choosing CPU!

Dec 3, 2019
Hello everyone, came here hoping to find some help! New to the forums and a bit of a components newbie. Currently, my graphics card is way nicer than my CPU and motherboard. I have an Sapphire Nitro RX 480 and 2 8gb sticks of DDR3 1333 SDRAM.

What would be a great bang for the buck Motherboard and CPU combo to pair with these?
Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Well I hope you know we are talking about used parts right ?

For that kind of memory I will be going with an intel cpu, probably a Core i7 3770/4770 (you really want to get something like this core i7, with 4 cores / 8 threads if you are hoping to play newer games).

As for motherboard, Im guessing anything with a B85 chipset that you can find at good price.

If you tell us whats your budget and from what part of the world are you we may be able to suggest something better and "somehow" cheap like this for example:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $239.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 18:29 EST-0500

Cheers

Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the US and I was hoping to spend somewhere around $200 to $250. I'm wondering if there's a motherboard you could suggest that allows me to keep using my DDR3 ram? only bought the 2 8g sticks about 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the US and I was hoping to spend somewhere around $200 to $250. I'm wondering if there's a motherboard you could suggest that allows me to keep using my DDR3 ram? only bought the 2 8g sticks about 2 years ago.

Saldy no for the new CPUs. In the desktop mainstream segment, Intel's been using DDR4 since the core 5xxx series around 2015 (they are on the 9xxx/10xxx series now), and AMD have been using DDR4 since Ryzen 1xxx around 2017. Memory controller is embeded on the CPU, so if the CPU support DDR4, theres no much you can do.

All you can do is get a used CPU like the ones I mention in my previous post, and paired with a motherboard from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or Asrock using the chipset B85 or similar. Thing is.... that may cost you the same than buying something like the brand new part list I wrote which will be a way better deal.

Cheers