Question Need help choosing fast ram for Ryzen 3400G

Jan 7, 2020
Hello!

I've just started putting together a mini ITX pc (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HjGYdm) using the ASUS Rog Strix Gaming B450-I with a Ryzen 5 3400G.

I need 32GB since I intend to use it solely using the onboard Vega graphics I'd like to get the fastest ram possible (low latency). Size may be an issue as the build is housed in a small case (Elite 110).

I originally went with a G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory kit but using XMP it complains and defaults to 2000mhz. The Rog Strix b450-i Doesn't have a QVL for Picasso CPUs so I went with this ram as it was on the QVL for both the Ryzen 3000 series and 2400G CPUs.

I've contacted ASUS asking them to suggest a memory QVL for Picasso chips on this mobo but until then...
What memory do you suggest I should I try instead (Samsung B-die) that will give me roughly 3000mhz and a decent latency?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Lutfij

Titan
The highest you can go with that 3400G is 2933MHz. You're going to be fine with the ram kit you've chosen though you could just source 3000MHz ram kit and then tighten the latency in BIOS manually, provided you're only going to stick to the APU and not upgrade to a CPU, in which case, move forward with the ram kit you've listed above.

Reactions: NickElGreek
Jan 7, 2020
The highest you can go with that 3400G is 2933MHz. You're going to be fine with the ram kit you've chosen though you could just source 3000MHz ram kit and then tighten the latency in BIOS manually, provided you're only going to stick to the APU and not upgrade to a CPU, in which case, move forward with the ram kit you've listed above.

Wow Lutfij, that was fast! thanks!

I'm an amateur, especially regarding RAM. Shouldn't the XMP default (3000mhz) work out of hte box? What settings would you suggest I use in the BIOS to get this running as you suggested? (timings and mhz?) I'd like to keep things stable, is this in any form overclocking anything? Many thanks!