[SOLVED] Need help choosing new cooler [I’m a absolute rookie]

Jul 8, 2021
Hello all,

Thanks for reading.
Short backstory: my PC is 3,5 years old and it got some heat issues the last couple of weeks (might be longer because I started checking temps just 3 weeks ago). I have no experience with setting up a PC or picking it apart but I somehow managed to put new thermal paste on my CPU. But.. my temperatures only went down from ~95 to ~86ish. Don’t know if this is normal or I maybe did the paste wrong (dot method).

Here comes the question: I want a new cooler but I absolutely don’t know what would fit, work etc. Budget doesn’t play a role as I really just need the thing to get cool and would pay everythi
Setup:
Case - Sharkoon TG5 with one window
CPU - Intel i7-7700K
Cooler - Alpenföhn Brocken Eco
Motherboard - Gigabyte Aorus 270-X Gaming K5
Fans - Thermaltake Riing 12 (3 front, 3 top, 1 behind CPU cooler on the back)

I added some pictures of the setup.
It would be nice if it’s not too hard to setup as I’ve never done it before but if it’s simply not possible to find another CPU cooler with the same screws as the one I have now it’s not a problem.

I hope you guys can help me!
Thanks in advance

Solution
Just because there is a place for a fan, it does not mean that you should install one.
I have a suspicion that if you removed the top fans, or disconnected them, you would do better.
Strong top fans tend to send the front airflow up and out the top before the cool air can go through the cpu cooler.

As to thermal paste, applying too much is not good.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the metal mating surfaces.
Paste is a better heat conductor than air, but not nearly so good as metal to metal contact.
A small rice sized drop in the middle will spread out under heat and pressure.
If it overflows the edges, you have used too much.
It is hard to use too little.
All this said, actual difference in paste application...
Jul 8, 2021
If your system was previously cooling properly and then starting having sudden issues it would point towards something like dust buildup and/or something going on with the mobo or CPU.
Already cleaned out all the dust when I put new thermal paste on. Wasn’t much around as I did it for the last time like 7/8 months ago. I thought about that as well but the thermal paste did help and I don’t have any issues performance wise. It might be that I put the paste on a wrong way or it didn’t cover everything. But looking at some reviews my cooler seems to be pretty average so I hope a better and newer one will solve my problems.

Jul 8, 2021
Already cleaned out all the dust when I put new thermal paste on. Wasn’t much around as I did it for the last time like 7/8 months ago. I thought about that as well but the thermal paste did help and I don’t have any issues performance wise. It might be that I put the paste on a wrong way or it didn’t cover everything. But looking at some reviews my cooler seems to be pretty average so I hope a better and newer one will solve my problems.
I mean that I cleaned out the dust 7/8 months ago, not the thermal paste, I’ve never done that before since I bought my PC ^^

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This issue could have been present the entire time, if you just started monitoring temps. I can only guess that the temps you are mentioning are on load.

Something to try would be to drop the side panel in order to allow the cooler to work as efficiently with ambient as it can. If you see a significant drop you might want to consider modification of or changing from the current case.
If you don't see a drop in temps you might want to revisit the cooler install/paste application.

IMO your case certainly has enough fans. The question would be whether they are actually moving fresh air into the case.

Jul 8, 2021
This issue could have been present the entire time, if you just started monitoring temps. I can only guess that the temps you are mentioning are on load.

Something to try would be to drop the side panel in order to allow the cooler to work as efficiently with ambient as it can. If you see a significant drop you might want to consider modification of or changing from the current case.
If you don't see a drop in temps you might want to revisit the cooler install/paste application.

IMO your case certainly has enough fans. The question would be whether they are actually moving fresh air into the case.
Correct, under full load. Under no load it’s around 39/40 degrees celsius.
With side panel you mean the window I guess? Because I can’t open the other side - everything is attached to it.
And a question: you don’t think a upgrade to my current cooler would seal the job? I’m not experienced with this at all so I don’t know but I thought a new one and surely better one than the current that I have would help.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Correct, under full load. Under no load it’s around 39/40 degrees celsius.
With side panel you mean the window I guess? Because I can’t open the other side - everything is attached to it.
And a question: you don’t think a upgrade to my current cooler would seal the job? I’m not experienced with this at all so I don’t know but I thought a new one and surely better one than the current that I have would help.

Initially, it would be a good idea to see if there is a significant difference when you leave the side panel off. Alternately if your front panel comes off, you could remove it instead.

In theory your PC should be idling around 15-20C above ambient, and then should be staying under it's maximum temp, based on load, and not throttling. If the case isn't providing proper air flow when it's closed, it won't matter if you put a better cooler on the CPU because your system is heat soaked.

Just because there is a place for a fan, it does not mean that you should install one.
I have a suspicion that if you removed the top fans, or disconnected them, you would do better.
Strong top fans tend to send the front airflow up and out the top before the cool air can go through the cpu cooler.

The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the metal mating surfaces.
Paste is a better heat conductor than air, but not nearly so good as metal to metal contact.
All this said, actual difference in paste application may only account for a few degrees difference.

Solution

All this said, actual difference in paste application may only account for a few degrees difference.

Your cooler is decent, so long as the fan runs at a decent rpm, there should be no need to change it out.

If you want the very best, my all time recommendation is the noctua NH-D15s.

Jul 8, 2021
Initially, it would be a good idea to see if there is a significant difference when you leave the side panel off. Alternately if your front panel comes off, you could remove it instead.

In theory your PC should be idling around 15-20C above ambient, and then should be staying under it's maximum temp, based on load, and not throttling. If the case isn't providing proper air flow when it's closed, it won't matter if you put a better cooler on the CPU because your system is heat soaked.
Hi! I removed the side panel (window) and the temperatures where a bit cooler than with the side panel on. Around 5 degrees celsius, sometimes more, sometimes less.
I don’t know if that’s enough to say that the airflow is bad and if that’s the issue then.
Should I try next to game without the top fans working like geofelt mentioned or what would be my next step?
And for the front panel, you mean like completely off so I could be able to touch the front fans?

Jul 8, 2021

Hi! I tried to game without the side panel (window) and saw the temperatures drop like 5 degrees celsius, sometimes more, sometimes less. Is this enough to say that the airflow is the whole issue?
I haven’t tried to play without top fans yet, so should I try to do that yet or try to remove the front panel first like punkncat said?

logainofhades

Titan

Not entirely accurate.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

Jul 8, 2021

Small update:
Tested it for 3 hours with 3 different setups and the results were:
1 - Only top fans not working: not a reasonable difference in temps, maybe 1-2 degreesless
2 - Only window removed: ~5-9 degrees celsius cooler
3 - Normal
What would you suggest next or what should I do?

Jul 8, 2021

Small update:
Tested it for 3 hours with 3 different setups and the results were:
1 - Only top fans not working: not a reasonable difference in temps, maybe 1-2 degreesless
2 - Only window removed: ~5-9 degrees celsius cooler
3 - Normal
What would you suggest next or what should I do?

The title of your post asked for help in picking a new cooler.
You could do that, but I think it is not really necessary if your peak cpu temperatures are in the 90c. range.
The processor will monitor it's own temperature and will throttle or shut down to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Higher rpm front intake fans could come close to the test with windows removed.

I do not see that you have a problem that urgently needs fixing, so you could keep going as you are.

Jul 8, 2021
The title of your post asked for help in picking a new cooler.
You could do that, but I think it is not really necessary if your peak cpu temperatures are in the 90c. range.
The processor will monitor it's own temperature and will throttle or shut down to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Higher rpm front intake fans could come close to the test with windows removed.

I do not see that you have a problem that urgently needs fixing, so you could keep going as you are.
Okay, that’s nice to hear.
I will keep the temps monitored and as long as it doesn’t go crazy I won’t upgrade anything.

One last question that I have: does the fact that the temps went down with the window removed mean that the airflow is bad or not necessarily?

It just means that better airflow and cooling is possible.
Not that it is needed.
One can always do a bit better by increasing the rpm, of the intake fans.
But, that will cost you some and the noise will be increased.
No need to do that.
Do not try to fix a problem you do not have.