Question Need help choosing new laptop

Oct 10, 2021
I am in the market for a laptop, just not sure what to get...haven't owned anything since a '96 hp desktop that would have issues sometimes running diablo 2 battlenet etc etc; remembering now that someone purchased it for me and that come to find out had Very little in the way of upgrade future-proofing! So here we go - filling out this form - not too good with tech.

1. What is your budget?
Would like to spend $500 to 900 usd. (Main upgrades could add 350 to 500, maybe?) Total= 1350 eventually after upgrade?

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Screen, 15-17.3 inch; weight, nothing too bulky. Try to stay under 5.6 lbs.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Atleast 1080p. Maybe 1440p or up (depending on deal).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Has to have portability. Versatile. Primary at home, though.

5. How much battery life do you need?
5-8 hours.
I think higher the performance the battery life will decrease.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to play with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not sure if I will game much but if I do they may be the perspective Games..which I'd want to run on Optimal settings. Also want to be able to play some AAA Titles on a little better than medium settings.. With a good FPS.

Perspective Games: #Diablo 2, Resurrected. # Grim Dawn series. # Guild Wars 1 + expan. Maybe #Path of Exile
Optimal settings for aforementioned games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
+Streaming videos (so hooking in to HD non smart tv or monitor will be yes). + Able to keep a couple browsers open and play music in background while gaming. Multi-tasking Etc etc. Not sure if I'll rip videos, music/record, edit music.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I would say 2tb (I want to upgrade my own though)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their site

Bestbuy.com
ebay.com
Outlet.dell.com
Sagernotebook.com
https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=247

Anywhere that you guys trust or recommend. I've had a person I know suggest getting something upgradable and future-proofing.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I don't plan on upgrading the unit for several years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Most don't come with optical now it seems,what do you all suggest in the way of externals?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Nothing that has heating issues. I've heard that some dells and certain other models for brands have issues with overheating. (See later question about vapor chamber.)
Not too sure here. Help.

I am sure that I want a unit with vapor chamber cooling. Thunderbolt port seems like it's important to have. Gotta have a laptop with higher functionality/connectivity.

13. What country do you live in?
United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed

**So when I did some looking this was suggested "
General System Requirements for AAA Title games in 2020
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H or Intel Core i5 7300HQ.
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti.
  • RAM: 8GB.
  • Storage: 512GB (SSD or HDD)
  • Operating System: Windows 10. "
"
Path of Exile Recommended System Requirements
  • CPU: x64-compatible, quad-core, 3.2 GHz or better
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • HDD: 32 GB available space
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or ATI Radeon RX560 or better
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection "
Upgrades:

Screen - upgradable ~$150
RAM - upgradable ~$100
NVME - upgradable ~$125
WIFI - upgradable -$25 (Intel AX210?)

Also via my laptop what would you guys recommend getting for accessories-periphery devices devices for my (unlocked) Amazon firestick? ..a couple years ago I bought an OTG device and a couple flash drives to add content to my firestick. Never got the whole thing going.

Any help appreciated. I am ten years behind on anything current, and probably further for tech.

Edit: p.s. I would prefer to get base specs on my buy if possible so I can upgrade myself. What are your guy's thoughts?
If the deal is good for new, like-new, excellent+ or refurbished then a reconfigured item is fine. When it get money I'll swap out generic or under performing parts.

Is a vapor chamber overkill? What models look good for cooling.

I heard that some processors can be swapped with a higher model, same gen. I assume the chip configuration has to match?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021
7 Important Factors to Consider When Buying a New Laptop
  • Size. One of the best features of a laptop is its ability to slip into a laptop bag and travel the world with you. ...
  • RAM. ...
  • Screen Quality. ...
  • Battery Life. ...
  • CPU. ...
  • Storage. ...
  • USB 3.0 Ports.
In bestlaptopinfo you can find batter guide to buy a new laptop