[SOLVED] Need help choosing new parts for upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 8, 2020
Currently have:
i3-4170
gtx 970 (recently upgraded from a 1050ti)
shave-hsw mobo
12gb ddr3 ram (8gb/4gb)
600w evga psu white
2x 1tb hard drives
cm 590 iii case

Looking for:
cpu (ryzen preffered / considering ryzen 5 2600x)
mobo for that cpu (current mobo only supports the i3-4170 specifically, its complicated)
16gb ddr4 ram
512gb ssd (considering the Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 ; cheap, but I heard a lot of people have it fail)
cpu cooler (incase the cpu i buy (most likely used) doesn't come with a fan)

What I need in the mobo:
pcie x16 slot for my gpu
ddr4 dimm slots
nvme slot for ssd
at least 2 sata cables (3+ if i'm getting sata ssd rather than nvme)
5+ usb ports
3.5mm headphone jack
don't need built in wifi bc i use ethernet
not going to overclock

i'd buy used except for an ssd
just trying to spend less
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
You have the budget to buy new parts. The 1600AF is Zen+, and nearly the same performance, as an R5 2600.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($85.00)
Total: $361.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 09:58 EDT-0400
Feb 8, 2020
~OKAY. Time to shut 'er down, and double check your cooler mount. You will have to reapply thermal paste too.
The cooler fan is plugged into the Cpu_Pwr header on the motherboard?
i dont have any thermal paste. it looks like it does already have some thermal paste on it aswell as on the heatsink. i'll take that off with alcohol. and i connected the fan by the "cpu_fan" connector.
also, i just noticed that the cpu uses an 8pin rather than 4 pin connector. i only attached one of my 4pins because i couldnt get the other to fit in... perhaps that's the issue? no matter how hard i try i cant get both of these 4 pins in there. :(

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i dont have any thermal paste. it looks like it does already have some thermal paste on it aswell as on the heatsink. i'll take that off with alcohol. and i connected the fan by the "cpu_fan" connector.
also, i just noticed that the cpu uses an 8pin rather than 4 pin connector. i only attached one of my 4pins because i couldnt get the other to fit in... perhaps that's the issue?
Every time you separate the heatsink from the cpu, the old needs to be removed and new applied, otherwise, there will be air pockets in the leftover paste, and that hurts temps.

Your psu doesn't have an 8-pin EPS connector???
Are you still using that EVGA 600 white?

Feb 8, 2020
Every time you separate the heatsink from the cpu, the old needs to be removed and new applied, otherwise, there will be air pockets in the leftover paste, and that hurts temps.

Your psu doesn't have an 8-pin EPS connector???
Are you still using that EVGA 600 white?
yes, im still using that psu. it doesnt have an 8pin, just two 4pins

edit: so i managed to connect the two 4pins, just had to switch the two. cpu still runs at 104c though. i did also take off the thermal paste.
also, cpu is 34C in bios.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
34C in bios is normal 104C isn't.
You're checking this with Ryzen Master, right?

What did you replace the old thermal paste with? Earlier, you said you didn't have any?

Does your case not have any fans? If it was a bad cooler mount, the temp in bios would be pretty high too...

Feb 8, 2020
34C in bios is normal 104C isn't.
You're checking this with Ryzen Master, right?

What did you replace the old thermal paste with? Earlier, you said you didn't have any?

Does your case not have any fans? If it was a bad cooler mount, the temp in bios would be pretty high too...
i don't know what ryzen master is. i'm using speccy, its from the same guys who made ccleaner. my case has two fans. i can only use one of them. the motherboard has two sys fan connectors but one of them is too far for the cable to reach.
yeah, i didnt add any new paste. i dont have any.
i just find it kind of strange how a cpu can reach 105c when the fan is on and windows is running at 5% cpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lack of case fans doesn't help, but the real ouch is no new thermal paste on hand.
Thermal paste is used to fill in the microscopic imperfections in the cpu cooler base and the cpu's IHS to improve thermal transfer.
A little paste in the middle, and the cooler's mounting pressure does the rest to fill in those gaps. When you reuse old paste, you're creating air pockets, which will trap heat, reducing thermal efficiency.
That's why temps are stupid even though you're just idling on the desktop.

You're just gonna have to shut 'er down until you can get some more paste... or heck, maybe you can even use toothpaste - it has a long curing time though.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-10.html

Feb 8, 2020
Lack of case fans doesn't help, but the real ouch is no new thermal paste on hand.
Thermal paste is used to fill in the microscopic imperfections in the cpu cooler base and the cpu's IHS to improve thermal transfer.
A little paste in the middle, and the cooler's mounting pressure does the rest to fill in those gaps. When you reuse old paste, you're creating air pockets, which will trap heat, reducing thermal efficiency.
That's why temps are stupid even though you're just idling on the desktop.

You're just gonna have to shut 'er down until you can get some more paste... or heck, maybe you can even use toothpaste - it has a long curing time though.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-10.html
so um i'm think its just speccy being dumb cause i opened ryzen master and under temperature it read 54c (it randomly jumps between 40 and 60c) while speccy continued to show similar numbers as it did before. ryzen master says 95c ptc cpu, but i assume that isnt what my cpu is actually at, right? it's still kind of weird how the temps jump around.. and i can hear it too- hoe the cpu fan constantly gets louder and quiter. nevertheless, i'll swing by computer world and pick up some thermal paste soon anyway.