[SOLVED] Need help choosing new parts for upgrade

Feb 8, 2020
Currently have:
i3-4170
gtx 970 (recently upgraded from a 1050ti)
shave-hsw mobo
12gb ddr3 ram (8gb/4gb)
600w evga psu white
2x 1tb hard drives
cm 590 iii case

Looking for:
cpu (ryzen preffered / considering ryzen 5 2600x)
mobo for that cpu (current mobo only supports the i3-4170 specifically, its complicated)
16gb ddr4 ram
512gb ssd (considering the Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 ; cheap, but I heard a lot of people have it fail)
cpu cooler (incase the cpu i buy (most likely used) doesn't come with a fan)

What I need in the mobo:
pcie x16 slot for my gpu
ddr4 dimm slots
nvme slot for ssd
at least 2 sata cables (3+ if i'm getting sata ssd rather than nvme)
5+ usb ports
3.5mm headphone jack
don't need built in wifi bc i use ethernet
not going to overclock

i'd buy used except for an ssd
just trying to spend less
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
You have the budget to buy new parts. The 1600AF is Zen+, and nearly the same performance, as an R5 2600.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($85.00)
Total: $361.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 09:58 EDT-0400

PCguy12345

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
Currently have:
i3-4170
gtx 970 (recently upgraded from a 1050ti)
shave-hsw mobo
12gb ddr3 ram (8gb/4gb)
600w evga psu white
2x 1tb hard drives
cm 590 iii case

Looking for:
cpu (ryzen preffered / considering ryzen 5 2600x)
mobo for that cpu (current mobo only supports the i3-4170 specifically, its complicated)
16gb ddr4 ram
512gb ssd (considering the Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 ; cheap, but I heard a lot of people have it fail)
cpu cooler (incase the cpu i buy (most likely used) doesn't come with a fan)

What I need in the mobo:
pcie x16 slot for my gpu
ddr4 dimm slots
nvme slot for ssd
at least 2 sata cables (3+ if i'm getting sata ssd rather than nvme)
5+ usb ports
3.5mm headphone jack
don't need built in wifi bc i use ethernet
not going to overclock

i'd buy used except for an ssd
just trying to spend less
thanks in advance.
Overall you planned to build is quite good. The RAM is good to make sure to get 3200mhz. Maybe for the SSD just stick to a slightly more reliable more expensive one. No need to get a CPU cooler because the ryzen processors come with one. A updated case might be good to have updated front panel ports.

Feb 8, 2020
Can you please state a budget so others will have an idea where to start?
not exactly a strict budget. roughly 350 or 400 i guess, but i can stretch it. just not exactly trying to upgrade my gpu/case/psu for now.
Overall you planned to build is quite good. The RAM is good to make sure to get 3200mhz. Maybe for the SSD just stick to a slightly more reliable more expensive one. No need to get a CPU cooler because the ryzen processors come with one. A updated case might be good to have updated front panel ports.
can you recommend a better ssd? i'd prefer a 500gb one. also, i saw ryzen 5 2600x's on eBay for 125 which i was planning to buy but those deals dont come with fans. would that be a good idea? or maybe there are cpu's that i can buy that are better and come w a cooler for the price i can get a 5 2600 and then buy a cooler? (sorry if that makes 0 sense). also, my current case has a 3.5mm headphone and mic jack, a usb 2 (or 1... idk its black) and usb 3. have only ever been able to use the usb 2 because the other ports don't have connections to my current mobo. why do updated ports matter? i'll look into getting a new case later, just really isn't a priority at the moment.
also, any recommendations for a motherboard? or will most deals i can snag on ebay be good?

logainofhades

Titan
You have the budget to buy new parts. The 1600AF is Zen+, and nearly the same performance, as an R5 2600.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Solution
Feb 8, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the recommendations. Any reason to choose the 1tb version of the crucial p1 other than an extra 500gb?
Also, I have a microcenter about 20 miles away, do you think it'd be worth to pick this up? Also, it looks like microcenter has some pretty good deals on buying that cpu as a bundle with other parts.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

logainofhades

Titan
Thanks for the recommendations. Any reason to choose the 1tb version of the crucial p1 other than an extra 500gb?
Also, I have a microcenter about 20 miles away, do you think it'd be worth to pick this up? Also, it looks like microcenter has some pretty good deals on buying that cpu as a bundle with other parts.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Games are getting huge, and you want your most played games, on SSD, for better load times. Having more SSD capacity, is a good thing. Having a Microcenter nearby makes things even nicer. Definitely a great deal. Just as an FYI, you can get the bundle discount, on open box/refurb boards too. Mine does anyway. Just be sure to look inside the box, to make sure it has everything you are going to need.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/twKyV7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon) (need bios update)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ Adorama)
Total: $399.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 10:23 EDT-0400

P.S: if u get the 2600x for 99$, go for it... and use that money to buy a bigger m.2 drive or ssd...

Feb 8, 2020
where are u from? And whats ur requirements, like heavy gaming or moderate gaming, office use?
I'm from pennsylvania. Moderate gaming I guess... I mean, I can't really expect to be running ultra settings with a 970. I've been struggling to pull 60 frames on low settings on apex legends. I spend a bit of time photo editing. A lot of discord and spotify use too.
Definitely a great deal. Just as an FYI, you can get the bundle discount, on open box/refurb boards too. Mine does anyway.
Where can i find open box/refurb deals?
Also, I looked the microcenter bundle deals and these two look pretty good. Do you think I should go for one of these? And which one?
https://www.microcenter.com/product...igabyte-b450-aorus-m-cpu---motherboard-bundle
https://www.microcenter.com/product...f-b450m-plus-gaming,-cpu---motherboard-bundle

Last edited:
I'm from pennsylvania. Moderate gaming I guess... I mean, I can't really expect to be running ultra settings with a 970. I've been struggling to pull 60 frames on low settings on apex legends. I spend a bit of time photo editing. A lot of discord and spotify use too.

Also, I looked the microcenter bundle deals and these two look pretty good. Do you think I should go for one of these? And which one?
https://www.microcenter.com/product...igabyte-b450-aorus-m-cpu---motherboard-bundle
https://www.microcenter.com/product...f-b450m-plus-gaming,-cpu---motherboard-bundle
Go for the one with Asus Tuf motherboard... the price is quite good too...

logainofhades

Titan

I would choose the gigabyte, over the Asus, personally. When you go into the store, there should be open box boards, on a separate shelf, near their new offerings. I had a friend get an R5 1600, with an open box Asrock B450m Pro4, and open box 16gb DDR4 3000, for under $200, a couple months ago, before they started their fire sale on the 2nd gen parts.

Feb 8, 2020
I would choose the gigabyte, over the Asus, personally. When you go into the store, there should be open box boards, on a separate shelf, near their new offerings. I had a friend get an R5 1600, with an open box Asrock B450m Pro4, and open box 16gb DDR4 3000, for under $200, a couple months ago, before they started their fire sale on the 2nd gen parts.
What's the difference between the two motherboards? I can see that the gigabyte has more usb ports.
Looked through the openbox deals on the site, didn't see anything that good. I'm assuming it'll be a lot better instore.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
There might be more in store. They don't always show up, online. Asus has horrible customer support, so I have sworn off their products. I am not sure if they have finally fully fixed them, but their bios revisions, when they added Ryzen 3000 support, were horrible. Keep in mind, any compatible board, can be used for a bundle deal.

Feb 8, 2020
I got these parts today: ryzen 5 2600x, 500gb wd black sn750, crucial 16gb, and gigabyte b450 aorus m.
2 big problems so far...
when the nvme ssd is installed the bios doesnt detect my two hard drives. i took out the ssd and then it detected them.
also, when i boot into windows with one of the hard drives, it was a lot slower than it was with my old parts. like, if i wanted to rename a folder it would freeze up windows explorer. if i wanted to move a file, sometimes it'd get stuck on 0%. what's going on?

Feb 8, 2020
Is Compatibility Support Mode enabled in bios?
Also, refer to the motherboard manual. Some motherboards disable specific SATA slots when an M.2 is installed.
where is comparability mode? i found "csm support" if thats the same thing... i have that enabled.
also, i wasnt able to find anything about disabling sata parts when an m.2 is installed. however, the motherboard has an area with 4 sata slots and a seperate area with 2 slots. i had both hard drives plugged into the second seperate area, i moved them, and now the bios can detect them... but then windows doesnt detect the ssd (although the bios does. also, windows does detect it it in device manager, just not in file explorer??)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
for some reason, bios stops detecting my ssd after some time. like, it happened once, i just took out and put it back in. now it happened again. not sure why this is happening. could it be falling out of its spot or is it a bios issue? windows can still detect it in device manager and disk management, even if it doesnt show in bios.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
You secured the device with the screws, right?
Are you able to see how hot it gets? You can use Crystal Disk Info to check the health of your drives and how hot they're getting: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Did you install the drivers for the SSD after formatting?
yes, the ssd has one screw on it. also, the mobo had a weird sticky pad that i put ontop of the ssd and it sticks to it, and i just screw the whole thing in.
View: https://imgur.com/a/YjHfPjW

46c is hotter than my other two drives... and the ssd shouldn't really be doing anything anyway. i just put an installation of linux on it but thats it.
also, i'm about to install linux on this ssd and get rid of windows from the hard drive... so will it even matter if i install drivers?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yes, the ssd has one screw on it. also, the mobo had a weird sticky pad that i put ontop of the ssd and it sticks to it, and i just screw the whole thing in.
That's to keep the thermal pad on it. It's normal for M.2s to run warmer than the SATA SSDs.

okay so um i just opened speccy and it said that the ryzen 5 2600x is running at 105C... its Idling...
~OKAY. Time to shut 'er down, and double check your cooler mount. You will have to reapply thermal paste too.
The cooler fan is plugged into the Cpu_Pwr header on the motherboard?