Question Need help choosing parts for a new gaming build April 2019

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
After much debate about buying another prebuilt gaming desktop or laptop, I came to the conclusion that I would end up with expensive garbage like my Alienware Aurora R-3. It took me a while to find someone reliable to build a desktop for me as I have no experience with computer construction. However I need to firm up the parts I need.

I do not play crazy high setting games anymore but do like to play some games (older) and also do artwork, painting, graphics, and Photoshop as well as normal stuff. My computer needs to be upgradable and somewhat futureproof as I do not change them out often. Not sure where to save money and where to spend it. My budget is $1500 or less. I am in The US.

Although I do not want to cannibalize my Alienware, there are some parts I think still can use to save some money. The main important parts will need to be new. I have a 24” Dell Ultrasharp monitor (eventually down the road I may upgrade that), Altec Lansing THX speakers – plug ins, natural keyboard, mouse, 2 optical drives: a Single Drive: 8X Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW) & a DVD Multi RW compact disk writable, a multi card reader and a Soundblaster card from my Alienware that I can use in the new computer. The optical drives and multicard reader in my Alienware are in 3 front bays approx. 6”W x 1 ¾” H each so a case would have to accommodate them. I probably will sell my GTX 690. The rest of the parts will need to be all new.

After weeks of reading the forums and watching YouTube, I am more confused lol.

I think I am settled on an I7 – 8700K CPU (my last one was a 2600K) and an EVGA 1660ti XC Ultra – I like the two fan idea for better cooling. The MSI looks similar but the EVGA warranty and service I think is better. The rest I am not sure of.

Wildcard kindly responded in March and suggested the following. (I see he is pretty savvy and picked parts for a reason. I don’t know one from the other.):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard($238.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory($105.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($274.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.48 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1479.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 16:14 EDT-0400

• The tech suggested I get a 750 W power supply? (My old computer had a 875 W)
• Should I get 32 GB of memory or wait to upgrade later and get 16GB now?
• Difference in memory between G Skill Ripjaw and Trident and Corsair Vengeance and Dominator (my Alienware originally had Dominator until they switched it out to a no name). I understand I will need 3200GHZ memory.
• Is the cooler sufficient? My Alienware has liquid but some air coolers are better. I think it will be easier to put in too.
• Should I get the Crucual SSD or go with a Samsung 860/960/970 Evo Pro (I cannot figure out the difference between the 860/960/970) at 500GB or 1000GB? Do I need a regular hard drive too?
• Which case is nice and can accommodate all this stuff and the bays for the optical and card reader drives (3)? I will miss my blue eyes on my Alienware but I don’t think I really need all the color stuff now. I need something that is sturdy and keeps everything cool and quiet.
• How do you choose the parts and make them compatible? Which are best case, power supply, chip, memory, SSD - brands that are best to look at.

Sorry if everyone’s eyeballs have glazed over. It has been a long time since I configured a computer. I want to spend my money well and not break the bank as I am not in the same place I was when I overspent on an Alienware. That was a survival gift for beating Cancer then. Maybe I am older and wiser now.

Thanks so much for any ideas and guidance. I think I am almost there.

Bliss

Wildcard chose a great system for you! Really 550 watts would be plenty, 650 is more than enough. If you are working with huge files with lots of layers in Photoshop, 32 GB is recommended, otherwise, 16GB will be fine. To my knowledge you won't need fast memory with an Intel chip. I think 2666 is fine here, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. The Dark Rock Pro 4 is very good. The storage in you list is nice. I think you will be pleased with that combination. Cases are personal- choose one that you like. Tempered glass is popular now, but more expensive. Does that Focus G have spots for three 5.25 inch drives? The Fractal R5 has two spots and is very nice. I think the Corsair 200r, Coolermaster Haf 912, and Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX all have at least three 5.25 inch drive slots.

Addendum: The Focus G has two 5.25 inch bays.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks Bearmann. I checked out the cases and the Phanteks looked interesting but the reviews said it damaged easily. With only 2 bays, the Focus G would be out unless I got a USB card reader and used as needed.

Any thoughts on brands of parts and which are better?

Thanks Bearmann. I checked out the cases and the Phanteks looked interesting but the reviews said it damaged easily. With only 2 bays, the Focus G would be out unless I got a USB card reader and used as needed.

Any thoughts on brands of parts and which are better?

Oh, I really like what Wildcard chose for you. EVGA and MSI both make nice GPU's. Just read the reviews an choose the one you like. The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a great cooler, but does scratch easily- but you're not the one doing the building. Tell him to be careful!

Even the intel chips can benefit from faster memory in gaming, so I would stick with the 3200 RAM.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with you on Wildcard's picks. He's terrific! Just need a different case as the Focus G doesn't offer enough bays and I just want to tweak things a bit. The builder wants to put in a bigger power supply?