Need help choosing parts for my PC upgrade.

Jun 29, 2018
I currently have a I5 6600K processor, but my current motherboard doesn't support overclocking. So I have decided to upgrade my PC, I have decided on buying the ASUS Z170-DELUXE motherboard specifically so that I can overclock my I5 6600K. But now I am sort of stuck, I would like to buy 16GB of RAM that is compatable with the ASUS Z170-DELUXE. Also I would like to invest in better cooling and am considering liquid cooling but once again I am not sure what to get and whether liquid cooling is best for me. Also I am unsure of whether my case and PSU are adequate for this upgrade I have a Aerocool Aero 800 case and I believe I have a 700w AeroCool Integrator Power Supply. Also I have an ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC (In case that's neccesary). Please help :D

What kind of budget are you working with?

You're not going to getting any decent overclocks with that PSU. Go for a 550/650W SeaSonic Focus model. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx This might just be me, but I don't see the point in throwing that much money into a different board, especially just to start OC'ing. The Deluxe is a great board, sure, but you can find some very capable boards for far under that price point. You don't need liquid cooling, but if you prefer its aesthetic or thermal properties, it would be fine for you to use. Also, is there any reason for you to overclock? Are you not getting the frames/performance you wanted? Never really understood why people OC'd in the first place, at least if they're running 60 Hz Panels. Overclocking on an older platform is understandable, but again, it really depends on the performance your seeing.

Personally, I would do this if I were you: Immediately replace that PSU. It's a poor unit regardless of if you want to OC with it or not. Save up money for a few months, and invest in a decent Z370 board to pair with an 8600k. Then, go for a high-quality air cooler, such as the Dark Rock 4 from be quiet.

Jun 29, 2018

Well my budget is around $1000, the reason I would like to OC is because in certain games such as Battlefield 1, my framerate struggles to keep at 60 or above - one of my pals that has the same GPU as me runs it at 100+ fps but has a I7 6700K, I also have 144hz monitor so it's nice to have a reasonably high fps. I knew that overclocking increased the temperatures so I thought liquid cooling and I thought the aesthetic of liquid cooling was cool aswell.