[SOLVED] Need help choosing replacement PSU

ogrewar6000

Commendable
Jan 9, 2018
I'm not very knowledgeable about computer parts and i'm not sure what PSU i need to get. What i got confused about when looking for PSUs is all this information about Pins, connectors and rails.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Ram: 8GB single channel DDR3

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is there anything else i need to mention?

My current PSU (which i need to replace) is 600W, ATX12V2.31. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get something a little stronger since i might upgrade in a couple of years, maybe 650 watts or so? I'm just guessing here. My budget is somewhat flexible but i'd prefer around $100 USD, hopefully less but if i need to pay more to get a competent PSU then i'll do it.

I don't know which case i have.

Thanks.

Solution
The most important piece of hardware is arguably the PSU. It is the life blood of the system and not to be underestimated.
Efficiency and quality go hand in hand when choosing the right PSU for your system.

I never advocate or consider cheap bronze rated units cause of the damage a poor quality unit can do and when it fails are likely the only component in a PC that can destroy other components when they fail due to a lack of proper overvoltage/overcurrent protection.

My strong advice is: DON'T GO CHEAP

A decent and efficient PSU starts with it's rating and for me Gold certification is the start. There are cheats out there who claim false certification so choose from a reputable brand such as Seasonic,EVGA, Antec, Corsair

I also...

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not very knowledgeable about computer parts and i'm not sure what PSU i need to get. What i got confused about when looking for PSUs is all this information about Pins, connectors and rails.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Ram: 8GB single channel DDR3

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is there anything else i need to mention?

My current PSU (which i need to replace) is 600W, ATX12V2.31. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get something a little stronger since i might upgrade in a couple of years, maybe 650 watts or so? I'm just guessing here. My budget is somewhat flexible but i'd prefer around $100 USD, hopefully less but if i need to pay more to get a competent PSU then i'll do it.

I don't know which case i have.

Thanks.

For your current PSU, that's just the wattage and the ATX version it conforms to (or at least claims to), not the model! It's possible that you actually have a quality one already.

But if not, something like this would be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($93.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $93.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-26 01:16 EDT-0400

Prices are higher than normal due to COVID-19 supply issues; you could sometimes find good PSUs for as little as $70 (I got my EVGA G3 750 for $73 and I have a G2 in another PC that I got for $76).

ogrewar6000

Commendable
Jan 9, 2018
For your current PSU, that's just the wattage and the ATX version it conforms to (or at least claims to), not the model! It's possible that you actually have a quality one already.

But if not, something like this would be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($93.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $93.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-26 01:16 EDT-0400

Prices are higher than normal due to COVID-19 supply issues; you could sometimes find good PSUs for as little as $70 (I got my EVGA G3 750 for $73 and I have a G2 in another PC that I got for $76).
I see, thank you. If you don't mind helping me further, what exactly should i be looking for if i want to check for alternatives? can i just copy the information from the Antec PSU you showed me into pcpartpicker's sorting? for example, the one you showed me says "EPS/ATX Connectors:2 xEPS 8-pin", so i can just copy these specs into the sorting and all of the results should theoretically fit into my computer?

The most important piece of hardware is arguably the PSU. It is the life blood of the system and not to be underestimated.
Efficiency and quality go hand in hand when choosing the right PSU for your system.

I never advocate or consider cheap bronze rated units cause of the damage a poor quality unit can do and when it fails are likely the only component in a PC that can destroy other components when they fail due to a lack of proper overvoltage/overcurrent protection.

A decent and efficient PSU starts with it's rating and for me Gold certification is the start. There are cheats out there who claim false certification so choose from a reputable brand such as Seasonic,EVGA, Antec, Corsair

I also recommend to spend the little extra to get a fully modular unit for versatility and ease of cabling management and airflow.
If you want the best then I would recommend the Seasonic Focus gold certified fully modular unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-750FX-Modular-Warranty-Compact/dp/B073GWKDVM

Also read my PSU fact below my signature.

Solution

ogrewar6000

Commendable
Jan 9, 2018

I also recommend to spend the little extra to get a fully modular unit for versatility and ease of cabling management and airflow.
If you want the best then I would recommend the Seasonic Focus gold certified fully modular unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-750FX-Modular-Warranty-Compact/dp/B073GWKDVM

Also read my PSU fact below my signature.

Thanks for the recommendations, i'll keep and see if i can find something slightly cheaper, not looking for the best, maybe just the second or third best, if i don't find anything i guess i'll just get the Seasonic.

Thanks for the recommendations, i'll keep and see if i can find something slightly cheaper, not looking for the best, maybe just the second or third best, if i don't find anything i guess i'll just get the Seasonic.

The antec I listed IS a seasonic focus in antec casing.

The issue with psu's for the uniniated is that manufacturer branding has no relevance to what the internals of a psu actually is.

Preety much the only manufacturers/retailers that make their own branded psu's entirely are seasonic, fsp, superflower and delta.

The antec zen listed is a andyson unit (ok but not great).
Evga, corsair, antec etc use different manufacturers depending on psu model itself, they can range from low end hec/andyson/fsp/cwt models to high end seasonic /superflower/cwt platforms.

The antec I listed is pretty much THE best unit you can get for under $100 at this present time.

PSU buying can be a minefield without researching properly!

Reactions: Archaic59

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Preety much the only manufacturers/retailers that make their own branded psu's entirely are seasonic, fsp, superflower and delta.
... HEC, Sirfa, CWT, Great Wall, SAMA, Andyson, Enhance. So, like, all of them. You might not see most of them on American market but they still manufacture and sell OEM units themselves. But i agree with the rest, PSU brand has little relation to it's quality, even if it's from supposedly first party OEM like Seasonic or Super Flower. You always need to look at the performance of specific unit.

... HEC, Sirfa, CWT, Great Wall, SAMA, Andyson, Enhance. So, like, all of them. You might not see most of them on American market but they still manufacture and sell OEM units themselves. But i agree with the rest, PSU brand has little relation to it's quality, even if it's from supposedly first party OEM like Seasonic or Super Flower. You always need to look at the performance of specific unit.

I actually forgot about the newer seasonic SIII, a seasonic branded unit that's actually made on the cheap by a fairly unknown chinese manufacturer and is not particularly good at all - very naughty move by Seasonic there!!!!

Reactions: Pickachu