[SOLVED] Need help choosing SSD for audio production

Jul 10, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to optimize my computer for audio production and need some help choosing the right SSD, here is my motherboard:
Asus H110M-K - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/

I have one SATA SSD 256Gb installed, but I need more storage (preferably 1Tb) for my sound libraries and virtual instruments. I need them to load up as fast as possible.
My question is should I add another SATA drive with just more storage space or should I use my PCIe port for m.2 with an adapter?

And another question, should I use my SATA 256Gb for Windows OS installation or install it on that PCIe drive together with my libraries if I choose to use PCIe?

Thank you and sorry if there is no logic in my sentences somewhere, I'm not that good when it comes to PC components.

Thank you!

Solution
I would just add another SATA III SSD.
Leave the OS on the current drive.

I added an Intel 660p NVMe drive in a PCIe adapter last year.
In my normal workflow with Adobe Lightroom, I can't tell the difference between that and the other SATA SSDs in the system.

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to optimize my computer for audio production and need some help choosing the right SSD, here is my motherboard:
Asus H110M-K - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/

I have one SATA SSD 256Gb installed, but I need more storage (preferably 1Tb) for my sound libraries and virtual instruments. I need them to load up as fast as possible.
My question is should I add another SATA drive with just more storage space or should I use my PCIe port for m.2 with an adapter?

And another question, should I use my SATA 256Gb for Windows OS installation or install it on that PCIe drive together with my libraries if I choose to use PCIe?

Thank you and sorry if there is no logic in my sentences somewhere, I'm not that good when it comes to PC components.

Thank you!
256GB is the smallest I'd consider for an OS today. If your software doesn't take up most of it than just get a TB SSD for your data storage and leave the OS where it is. I wouldn't bother getting a PCIe expansion card to use a NVME, I don't even know if your MB could boot from it, I doubt it.

USAFRet

Titan
I would just add another SATA III SSD.
Leave the OS on the current drive.

I added an Intel 660p NVMe drive in a PCIe adapter last year.
In my normal workflow with Adobe Lightroom, I can't tell the difference between that and the other SATA SSDs in the system.

Solution
Jul 10, 2020
Sorry if my question is incorrect, I'm a bit lost in all this.

But thank you that you guys understood my question anyway. I will go with sata III then and dont bother with any other stuff.

Thanks again!

Reactions: USAFRet