Question Need help: computer keeps randomly rebooting

Inner Seoul

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
So, suddenly for the last few days, my computer began rebooting at seemingly random times. It’s happened in the middle of my gaming, but also in the middle of the night while I’m sleeping, interrupting some activities I leave running over night.

My system:
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i5-7500
Nvidia GTX 1070
8 gigs of ram, I forget the brand

I’ve tried running the windows memory diagnostic, and didn’t detect any problems with the memory. No graphical distortions, so I’m guessing it’s not a GPU issue. The CPU temperature stays around 35-45 degrees Celsius even when the usage is at 90%, so I’m guessing it’s not an overheating issue. It’s really quite aggravating and began happening in the past few days after a couple of years of running fine. Any ideas? What tests can I run to figure out what the problem might be?

I could provide event logs if it will help.

Edit: by far the oldest component on this computer is the PSU, an Antec that I’ve been using on one computer or another for about 7-8 years. I’ve always had it in the back of my mind that it may need to be replaced soon, but didn’t know when. Is there any way to check if the PSU is starting to die out? Could a dying PSU cause the problem I described?

Last edited:

Inner Seoul

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
PSU make and model?
What is showing in reliability history?
Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
Do you have latest drivers installed?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

PSU: Antec I believe 750 watts. See the edit I made to the original post.
Reliability: I don’t know how to quantify that exactly, but this is the first time I’ve really had problems since I bought the CPU about maybe a year and a half ago or the GPU around 2 years ago.
Overclocking: None. But I do video editing and stuff, usually setting things up to run over night, which will push the CPU to the 90-95% range. This is when the problem first occurred; I woke up and noticed the task hadn’t completed and the computer had restarted in the night. I assumed it was just an update and a restart.
Latest drivers: Yes.
Bios: No idea. Haven’t touched it since I installed the mobo/CPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU: Antec I believe 750 watts.
What exact Antec model though? For example the HCP or HCG Gold are excellent, but the Basiq, VP, or lower level Earthwatts / NEO / Green are all poor and awful.

Also how long have you had the PSU?

Reliability: I don’t know how to quantify that exactly, but this is the first time I’ve really had problems since I bought the CPU about maybe a year and a half ago or the GPU around 2 years ago.
Sorry Reliability History is a Windows program. Just go to start > Reliability History :)

Bios: No idea. Haven’t touched it since I installed the mobo/CPU.
It may be worth confirming how old it is, a BIOS update may be necessary. Sometimes firmware can cause this.

Are you able to recreate the shutdown at all? If so, you could try running in safe mode and see if the issue persists.
Does it only happen under load?

Inner Seoul

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
PSU: It’s an Earthwatt, somewhere in the 750+ voltage vicinity. I’ve had it for something like 6-8 years.

Reliability history: I took a picture. Seems prior to this period, it was all 10s. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/oDEvb3A

I can recreate the shut down by running the video editing program and letting it run. I have not been able to get that to complete for the past few days. The video program pushes the CPU to 90-95%, but it also happens when I’m gaming, when the CPU usage is more like 30-60%.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It’s an Earthwatt, somewhere in the 750+ voltage vicinity. I’ve had it for something like 6-8 years.
Is this just the standard Earthwatt and not the Pro Gold?
If so, it's a poor quality unit really, and 6-8 years is a long time for a poorer quality PSU. So it may be the PSU on it's way out. Especially considering your reliability shows nothing else out of the ordinary asides the failed update, which I suspect is because it could have restarted suddenly.

Regardless if it is the PSU or not, I'd be tempted to replace it if it is indeed the standard Earthwatts or Green. You can see what poor quality PSUs do here on point 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

I did check over the previous thread, but confirming did you check individual CPU core temps as well as GPU temps under load?

Inner Seoul

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
I did check over the previous thread, but confirming did you check individual CPU core temps as well as GPU temps under load?

Standard earthwatt, I think.

Core temps, yeah. I ran the video software last night and turned on speedfan. The CPU temps remained steady at around 40ish Celsius. The GPU wasn’t in use for that of course, so the temp for that was low. But it crashed last night regardless, so I’m guessing it’s not the GPU.