Question Need help! Computer shuts down randomly, temps and psu are not faulty.

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018
I bought a computer (and kept some parts from the old one) and mounted it and I have a big problem.
I have:

Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro,
Ryzen 7 5800x,
gtx 1060 6gb (old pc part),
a liquid cooler with a fan,
2 ram sticks from gskill (old pc part)
and a 650w psu ( old pc part)

Yesterday I mounted it, everything is fine, the processor temperatures are 30-40 in idle, 60 in games, and it jumps over 60 in editing but I haven't seen 80 yet because I didn't have time. Voltage is fine too.

Always over approximately 2 or 4 hours after starting, the computer shuts down suddenly, as if the power is cut off. No matter the situation, either idle, or in game.

The first time it turned off, it started but I didn't get an image and all the lights were off and I had to reset bios by taking out the motherboard's battery.
I didn't think it was the ram because they are parts of the old computer and they didn't have any problem then, and I thought maybe it was from xmp and I disabled xmp. Eventually I tested other memories, nothing changed.

The next time it shut down, I was able to turn it on normally, without removing the battery from the motherboard, but it still shuts down.
I tried doing stability tests, memory tests, benchmarks. In all, the pc is doing extremely good and has no other problems.
So I blamed the psu. I tried another psu and it behaves the same, it works well until it closes suddenly.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? I really hoped it could be a software issue, but I lost hope, I'm thinking the cpu or motherboard might be bad, but I hope it can be something else.

Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.

I might suspect that your cooler is not working properly.
It takes a bit of time for the fluid to heat up.
During that time, temperatures will be ok.
Once the fluid has heated up but can not be cooled while moving through the radiator, heat will build.
AIO coolers eventually fail.
Possibly the pump is not running well, there might be air in the fluid or even a leak.

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018
Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.

I might suspect that your cooler is not working properly.
It takes a bit of time for the fluid to heat up.
During that time, temperatures will be ok.
Once the fluid has heated up but can not be cooled while moving through the radiator, heat will build.
AIO coolers eventually fail.
Possibly the pump is not running well, there might be air in the fluid or even a leak.

I had temps on all the time. Didn't jump over 60C, I watched them nonstop, even in the last minute before the shut down. I'm 100% sure this is not a heat issue.

Is there anything that might happen 2-4 hours after starting up?

5000 series are new, and I might expect some motherboard bios updates.
F10 is needed to run, but F11d is available.
I don't see how that could have any sort of timing issue.

Possibly, there is a motherboard cooling issue.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
See if that makes a difference.

Dec 13, 2020
I have exactly the same problem as you (Have the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P). Did you find a fix? I also tried both XMP on and off, I read somewhere that enabling 'Eco mode' in the BIOS is a temporary fix. I hope this can be fixed with a BIOS update..

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018
I have exactly the same problem as you (Have the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P). Did you find a fix? I also tried both XMP on and off, I read somewhere that enabling 'Eco mode' in the BIOS is a temporary fix. I hope this can be fixed with a BIOS update..

Hey! It got better with the bios updates. On the early updates it shut down regardless if I disabled core performance boost and xmp. After a beta update, I could disable only xmp and the system was totally stable. XMP is not really a good option right now, I will wait for another non-beta bios update to try again.

If you still have stability shutdowns, I recommend turning off Core Performance Boost, it will limit the cpu to 3,7 ghz but at least it will be stable. We're not alone, a lot of people have these kind of issues, it will solve in time. Here is a forum about the latest gigabyte bios versions so you can see how other people are doing https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...abyte/28656-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios/page825

It's just a matter of time until we will have the full performance, we're just beta testers right now sadly.

Dec 13, 2020
Hey! It got better with the bios updates. On the early updates it shut down regardless if I disabled core performance boost and xmp. After a beta update, I could disable only xmp and the system was totally stable. XMP is not really a good option right now, I will wait for another non-beta bios update to try again.

If you still have stability shutdowns, I recommend turning off Core Performance Boost, it will limit the cpu to 3,7 ghz but at least it will be stable. We're not alone, a lot of people have these kind of issues, it will solve in time. Here is a forum about the latest gigabyte bios versions so you can see how other people are doing https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...abyte/28656-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios/page825

It's just a matter of time until we will have the full performance, we're just beta testers right now sadly.
Ah I see. This gives me hope they can fix it with further updates. Thanks!