Need help computer stopped working

emranulhaque93

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
My computer after 3 years has stopped working and is in a continuous loop of turning on for a few second and turning off. On screen it loads until I get a cursor and an under score then an underscore and then it shuts off. I can't get into bios. When I take my video card which is a Nvdia gtx 960 from the power supply my computer stays on and shows on screen to plug in my video card. Everyone told me it was my psu and I switched out a evga 500w for a evga 1000w one and it didn't fix anything. My specs are gigabyte sniper g1 z97, intel i5-4900k 3.5ghz, G skill Ddr3 8gb ram x2, psu is a evga 1000w. I would like to say I overclocked my cou from 3.5 to 4.2 a few months ago with the stock fan. If anyone knows what is wrong or what part to switch out please help me out I don't have the funds to replace everything.

The easiest thing to try is to clean out the dust inside the case and on the heatsink by using a can of compressed air. It is possible that the CPU is overheating during startup and is shutting down to prevent damage to the CPU.

If the dust has been cleaned off, then the next item to look at is the PSU - make sure that the PSU is good, and working well. Your friends did advise you correctly (PSU).

New yes, but does it perform and output the stated power? The "paper clip" test is a gross test and does not test the PSU under load.

emranulhaque93

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I'm gonna say yes since the 500w one worked fine for 3 years but I am not 100% certain if the new one does any suggestion how to test the performance and output ?

Connect it to a different computer.

emranulhaque93

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I don't have other spare computers/ parts to test on. Is there any other way? My motherboard led comes on and there are some numbers that go kinda wonky on the motherboard when I turn to pc on. I don't hear beeps or anything.

emranulhaque93

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Someone told me my motherboard had built in low quality Gpu I was wondering if I take the graphics card out wouldn't it boot from there?

At home I don't know of any other good way of testing a PSU under load. (In the lab this is done by using a "water load" but I do not recommend this for testing at home).

emranulhaque93

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Tried it and it's the same problem won't go to bios screen just restarts itself in a continuous loop

TRENDING THREADS