[SOLVED] Need help configuring BIOS settings

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi guys, due to some BSOD problems detailed in this thread I've just updated the BIOS for my motherboard, which is the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4. I didn't realize that doing so would reset all my BIOS settings, until I noticed that my frame rate in games dropped by as much as 30 fps in some scenes.

So now I have two problems:
  1. My RAM is no longer running at the 3600mhz that it's rated for. XMP doesn't seem to do anything when I select it in the menu.
  2. My fan profiles need configuring again, and I can't remember what the settings ought to be anymore. I have a stock 12900k and an EK Elite AIO 360, and my case is a be quiet silent base 802 which has all the fans feeding into a single fan controller iirc. The options in UEFI are between PWM and DC for each of CPU, PUMP and SYSTEM. Additionally there's "smart fan control" which allows me to set the curve.
    • There's a 4 position switch on the front of the case that goes "Auto - 1 -2 -3" which I believe is used to control system fan speed. Does that affect what setting it should have in BIOS?
    • I can vaguely recall hearing that the pump in an AIO needs to be running at 100%, is that true?
    • Setting the CPU fan to PWM and applying a fan curve is easy enough, though I'm just guessing at reasonable values, so if anyone knows of a sensible way to set the curve, I'd love some suggestions.

Solution
My RAM is no longer running at the 3600mhz that it's rated for. XMP doesn't seem to do anything when I select it in the menu.
Just for the sake of relevance, you're on version 7D25v1A for your motherboard BIOS? If so, did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to the latest? As for the rams, are they populating slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard?

all the fans feeding into a single fan controller iirc
How is the AIO hooked up in your system? The manual to the case states that the fan hub is PWM, you should set the fan option in BIOS to PWM.

Lutfij

Titan
My RAM is no longer running at the 3600mhz that it's rated for. XMP doesn't seem to do anything when I select it in the menu.
Just for the sake of relevance, you're on version 7D25v1A for your motherboard BIOS? If so, did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to the latest? As for the rams, are they populating slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard?

all the fans feeding into a single fan controller iirc
How is the AIO hooked up in your system? The manual to the case states that the fan hub is PWM, you should set the fan option in BIOS to PWM.

Solution

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Yes, version 7D25v1A. I did not clear the CMOS. RAM is in slots A2 and B2

EDIT: I tried turning XMP on again and this time it worked. I think what threw me off was that the displayed speed in UEFI didn't change, but it turns out you need to save the config and reboot before that displayed current speed updates. So this issue is resolved now.

The AIO has 6 fans that feed into a single fan controller, which then connect to the CPU header on the motherboard. The pump connects to the pump header.

EDIT2: This is a separate fan controller to the one that the case fans are connected to.

Last edited:

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
EDIT2: This is a separate fan controller to the one that the case fans are connected to.
Might want to include the make and model of the hub, then.
It came packaged with the rest of the AIO kit and doesn't appear to be sold separately to it, so I didn't find any specific specs.

I've been playing around with the fan settings a bit and it turns out that the pump was operating at around 3400rpm which I estimate is around 90% of it's max speed. When I turned on smart fan control and brought the speed down to 60% which works out at around 2300rpm, the high pitched whining sound that I've been putting up with ever since I built this PC a year ago disappeared. Guess I should have done that much earlier :D

So currently, CPU, PUMP and SYSTEM are all set to PWM and with smart fan control on. I've set the temp source for CPU and PUMP to "CPU" and to "System" for SYSTEM. The curves are pretty much the same for each, with the first threshold being set at 40°C and the speeds being somewhat low, around 30-40% for fans and 60% for the pump. They ramp up at 65°C and 80°C.

Assuming there's nothing egregiously wrong with this setup, I'll just leave it like this, since it's actually working better than what I've gotten used to over the past year, at least as far as noise levels go. Correct me if I'm wrong but this AIO doesn't have a coolant temp sensor does it? If it did, I might configure the CPU curve differently (pretty much just flattening it more to stop the fans ramping up and down as much).